Author Topic: Firewall logs stopped showing new entries  (Read 2674 times)

Offline videogamefan4

Firewall logs stopped showing new entries
« on: August 17, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »
I sometimes look at my firewall logs since getting avast premier and notice they seem to block things almost every 5 seconds and there is a big list of blocked items from the exact time i look at it going back very far.. usually from svc host ,but other apps im using, but today checked them and noticed they stopped having any entries after around 11:50am (now almost 3pm) I also noticed that when i went as far back they only went to about 6am this morning, didnt wake up till 9.

Is there any reasons for either of these things happening? (new entries stopping today at 11am, and old ones  after 6am being gone?)

Even now my firewall logs are not showing any new blocked entries after I had gotten used to seeing new ones any time I checked.. so I am worried the firewall is not working correctly.. I did install the update today I cant remember what time but it was some time in the morning close to lunch.
I did a scan and everything else appears to be normal. using avast premier on windows 10, no other anti virus software.

**edit: pretty sure this happened basically right after I updated avast to the most recent update today, I reinstalled avast on a different pc clean install and it does the same thing. im guessing the update changed something. all appears normal now
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:06:15 AM by videogamefan4 »

Offline Vladimir211

Re: Firewall logs stopped showing new entries
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
I updated avast yesyerday.
I woke up today, booted PC and windows 10 showed that firewall is not working. I saw that there are no network in firewall. But its surely is cause I am sitting on the site right now.
Stop all of your security screens and relaunch it. That fixed my problem.
There is no fate, only redemption

Offline Pako7

• Poster
  • 18 years with Avast and i still recommend it
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »
I  keep getting a notiification stating that both windows security and avast Firewall are turned off  ... guess that the only  error i noticed o my firewall
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
Hi guys, just checked and the FW (including logs) is working fine here.

Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline videogamefan4

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Ok so I realized what changed was when you go to the firewall tab on the bottom it says "apps recently managed by your firewall" and since the update it says "allowed" to all of the recently listed apps whereas before it was blocking several of them regularely. including spotify, svc host and a few others.. it would show them as "blocked" in that recently managed apps by firewall list at the bottom. this i guess is why the logs would constantly record blocked entries..but now all of them say allowed, none are being blocked and no new entries are showing up, which I guess is because they are all allowed. and i guess this happened right around the time of the update.

So I am just wondering is that supposed to be normal? all of the recently managed apps being allowed or should some be blocked and did the update change any of that? also I did the repair and it didnt change anything. everything still "allowed". is that normal and if it is why did it show so many blocked before? did the update show/change the way this is handled?

also to further clarify - I have very little programs running on my pc and installed avast from clean install not long ago, and everything appears to be working. I just am wondering why it was showing many blocked apps constantly before update and now shows none and everything is allowed and if that is normal. thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:18:48 PM by videogamefan4 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »
Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post your File-ID here afterwards.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0