Author Topic: Avast is frozen - Repair, Reinstall, and Updating don't work  (Read 1770 times)

Offline markcowell23

Avast is frozen - Repair, Reinstall, and Updating don't work
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
Hi, so I don't know what is wrong with Avast, and it's been broken for weeks at this point. I'm thinking it's a setting, file, or some kind of computer preference, that is preventing function.

It is stuck like the image above, and no actions have been able to change it, the desktop icon hasn't changed either, and I have tried the various steps below:

Reinstall Avast
  • Repair function Avast
    Update via Forums & Avast Website

S

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast is frozen - Repair, Reinstall, and Updating don't work
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast is frozen - Repair, Reinstall, and Updating don't work
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »
You don't say what avast version number you are using, nor the operating system you have avast installed on ?
Both of these have an impact on what to do.

The instructions below assume you are able to run avast 19.x.xxxx and are using Windows 7 or later.
Have you tried a clean reinstall, utilising the avast uninstall utility ?

If not try this:
Download the latest version of avast, see https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228911.0 and save the full off-line installation file for your avast program to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility avastclear.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs/Programs & Features, if you can't do that start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Note: save the copy of avastclear.exe so it can be reused as some users are reporting that after running it, it is self-deleting.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security