Author Topic: Can't Get Avast Network Security To Run on Debian Stretch  (Read 6493 times)

Offline chris.brooker

Can't Get Avast Network Security To Run on Debian Stretch
« on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:26 AM »
I've emailed Avast support a couple of times for our licensed copy of Network Security for Linux and since I've not had any response so far I thought I'd post here. I'm trying to install it on Proxmox Mail Gateway which is basically Debian Stretch. If I try to any version newer than 1.2.2 scan and updates are both broken. When trying to start the daemon it gives avldrRemoveDefinitionsFolder() and avldrGetDefinitionsFolder() errors but from my limited Linux knowledge I don't know whether this is a folder permissions or license issue.

"Hi, We purchased a 2 year license for Avast Network Security for Linux a few months ago (Order ID xxxxxx) but I have been struggling to get the current version working on Debain Linux.  As below version 1.2.2 runs ok but if I install version 2 or 3 the daemon fails to start, signatures can’t be downloaded and I get a
“connect(): /var/run/avast/scan.sock: No such file or directory” when trying to run scan. I’m installing from the correct debian stretch repo and running the “/etc/init.d/ avast start” command post installation. Also nothing is logged in /var/log/avast. Can you please advise?

Regards"

Thanks
Chris

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Can't Get Avast Network Security To Run on Debian Stretch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
Hello,
please check out stickied post on this forum:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227258.0
In short, for newer platforms we build specifically for given stable versions, so it is necessary to modify your package sources.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline chris.brooker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
Hi Ondrej, I have my system setup with the correct package sources and have tried apt-get installing as well as downloading the avast-debian-stretch_3.0.3-1_amd64.deb file and installing manually but I still get the same result. I also did an apt-get purge avast to confirm all files and settings (excluding license file) were removed from /etc/avast/, etc before reinstalling.

Thanks
Chris

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Hello,
please can you check syslog? There could be something more specific there. You can send it to me to ondrej.kolacek <at> avast.com
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline chris.brooker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:48:50 AM »
I just want to say thanks to Ondrej for his help. I found that the issue was our firewall was blocking access to the vps files. Once I added a scan, etc exlude rule the definitions updated and I was able to start the Avast service successfully.

Thanks
Chris