Author Topic: Viruses, Worms, and Jotti  (Read 4838 times)

Goldengirl

Viruses, Worms, and Jotti
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »
Great Advice!
     ...especially for a 'newbie.' Ran a scan and got a Results list of 12 different [kernels?] with the same address. only the 8-9 digit and [kernels] numbers and the final number (0 to 9) were different. The addresses were <C:Documents and Settings\All Users\Applicatioin Data\AOL\User Profiles\All Users\antispyware\quarantine\Quarantine\  (then the 'kernel' #s) .zip\ (a digit 0-9)> Each was "Unable to be scanned: Password protected" with no action suggested or taken.
       There were, also, several files (4, but each was duplicated, at least, once- which completely confuses me!)  I was able to delete one and move one to the Chest, where it registered as a virus.  They, now, are listed as "OK." The rest- including the 'duplicates'- gave me an error message: File not packed, when I tried to take an action.  I don't how to interpret the lingo and don't know what to do next.  The Scan Results window is still open on my desktop.  What now?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Viruses, Worms, and Jotti
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
The files inside of the antispyware quarantine are OK (I mean, they are password protected, so avast! cannot scan them. That's actually the reason why antispyware password protects them - so that there's no interference with other antivirus/antimalware tools.)

What is the full path of the other files (that give this strange "file not packed" result)?

Goldengirl

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 06:49:09 PM »
Thanks!  ;D
On those that are password protected, do I just leave them alone?  The <Winzip.exe> couldn't be moved to the chest from My Downloads, for the 'packing' reason, and it was listed again on the Results: Unable to locate the file. I 'deleted' it and checked the box to force delete on restart. Can I count on that happening? 

OK, now I've had some sleep.......here are the 2 others. They are repeated. I don't know if that's to show avast!'s attempts, or...?  I put all of it below as they are shown on the page- top to bottom. (Don't know the order of Action vs. order of display in the scan):

#1, top line:
<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin\Telling Time Overlay.oms>  Result: File is OK

#1, 2nd line:
<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin\>  Result: Unable to scan:File is not packed....Operation: Error occured in moving file to chest: File is not packed.

#1, 3rd line:
<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin\Telling Time Overlay.oms>  Result, etc. is the same as 2nd line.

#1, 4th line is a duplicate of 2nd line, from beginning to end. 

As I look at this, I see this could just be a series of actions recorded but having lost 2 systems to crashes, before, I'm highly motivated to keep things in tact!  I deleted the #2 lesson plan folder for my English class that was like the above.  I don't need it anyway.

Thanks for helping this 'newbie.'  I want to stay on top of this!  :-)   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:25:09 PM »
Can I count on that happening?
If the file is 'packed' inside of the archive file (i.e., it's a file inside of the zip), maybe avast! won't be able to delete it. 

I don't know if that's to show avast!'s attempts, or...?  I put all of it below as they are shown on the page- top to bottom. (Don't know the order of Action vs. order of display in the scan):
<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin\Telling Time Overlay.oms>  Result: File is OK
File is strange, it has two extensions (zip and bin)... but seems to be clean.

<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin\>  Result: Unable to scan:File is not packed....Operation: Error occured in moving file to chest: File is not packed.
Is the file infected and you're trying to move to Chest?
Which is the file size?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:29:11 PM »
Although not common, .zip.bin can indicate it is *nix file and not a windows file.
In general: never trust a file with a double extension.

Goldengirl

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:10:09 AM »
OK.  I think just for safety's sake- and my peace of mind- I'm going to delete the whole zip file and reinstall, later. 

I thought the double extensions were weird! The bin file is 3.5Mb and is an "Unknown Application" in the folder. <...Time\TELLTime_mousepc.zip.bin> is 28Kb.  Although, I got this info from the file itself, within My Doc's, I ran a search for it, using part of the file name and got "0 results to display!!"  If I can't find the files shown on avast! how can I delete them?! First, I'm going to run a couple more files onJotti and see what I get from them. While that's happening, I'm going to .....? before I try to search and destroy![    >:(

Goldengirl

Re: Viruses, Worms, Jotti & bin files
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 07:07:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Eddy.  I looked at it a different way and pulled out the whole b****y list into the trash!  Now I'm scanning again.  Your pic looks like my ex.....is that your alter ego, or are/were you a paratrooper, like he was?  And, guess what?  His name was Eddy, too!
Thanks for helping me solve (I think) my problem, guys!  ;-)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:43:07 PM »
First of all, I don't think you have any malware on your computer - the files don't look very suspicious to me. It only seems as a glitch in avast! archive processing.

If you didn't delete the file already - I mean the .bin:
<Documents and Settings\WindowsXP\MyDocuments\Work\LessonPlans\Math\Time\TellTime_mousepc.zip.bin
- would it be possible to send it to me so that I could inspect what's going on there during the archive unpacking, and possibly improve the behavior?
Thanks!