Author Topic: Avast and Yahoo! IM  (Read 9298 times)

galaxyclass

Avast and Yahoo! IM
« on: January 14, 2004, 08:38:52 AM »
There is a feature in YIM which allows you to enter the .exe of your A/V so it can automatically scan files downloaded from other users, would I be correct in thinking I should enter ashAvast.exe here?

Offline Michal Zrůbecký

• Avast team
    • avast! software
Re:Avast and Yahoo! IM
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 09:06:50 AM »
Yahoo! Instant Messenger is protected by Instant Messaging provider by default, so you don´t need to enter any *.exe file.
In other software (such as download managers) you can use ashQuick.exe file.
avast! support team

galaxyclass

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 04:46:13 PM »
Yahoo! Instant Messenger is protected by Instant Messaging provider by default, so you don´t need to enter any *.exe file.

Are you sure? In the preferences section of YIM is a section where you can point to your A/V for scanning D/L'ed files, I just wondered which file I should point to.

Is there a difference in what ashQuick can scan compared to ordinary Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 11:05:54 PM »

Are you sure? In the preferences section of YIM is a section where you can point to your A/V for scanning D/L'ed files, I just wondered which file I should point to.

Is there a difference in what ashQuick can scan compared to ordinary Avast?

There is no difference on the scanning: both use the same virus database to found and clean the viruses. If you need to inform the av program for scanning the download files, use ashQuick.exe without parameters.

Hope this help. Wellcome to forums.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

galaxyclass

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »
Without parameters means just point straight to the file?

Thanks, notdarkyet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »
Without parameters means just point straight to the file?

Thanks, notdarkyet.

Yes, path and file name, usually:
C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe

galaxyclass

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 07:39:05 PM »
I apologise for bumping this topic but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

When I go to look for ashQuick.exe, at the bottom of the dialog box there is a checkbox to 'Open as read-only', should I put a check in this box considering the purpose I am using ashQuick.exe for?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 12:23:57 AM »
I apologise for bumping this topic but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

When I go to look for ashQuick.exe, at the bottom of the dialog box there is a checkbox to 'Open as read-only', should I put a check in this box considering the purpose I am using ashQuick.exe for?

Where are you seeing that checkbox... I see no one for ashquick?!
I tryed to remove the 'skin for Explorer Extension' in the settings but I cannot see that checkbox...  ::)

galaxyclass

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 06:56:53 PM »
I see this box when I go to browse for the Avast file which will scan incoming files in YIM, it's below the drop-down box 'Files of type' in Windows explorer. What is this option for?

I was also confused about what this has to do with the 'skin for explorer extension', I'm not referring to the Avast settings.

Thanks, notdarkyet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 01:02:47 AM »
I see this box when I go to browse for the Avast file which will scan incoming files in YIM, it's below the drop-down box 'Files of type' in Windows explorer. What is this option for?

I was also confused about what this has to do with the 'skin for explorer extension', I'm not referring to the Avast settings.

Thanks, notdarkyet.

Will you be so good to post a screenshot? I'm lost...  :-\

galaxyclass

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 05:27:13 PM »
Here ya go...

EDIT: I'm having trouble attaching the file so Technical, I sent the ss to the e-mail address in your profile.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 03:45:44 PM by notdarkyet »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 01:09:24 AM »
Here ya go...

EDIT: I'm having trouble attaching the file so Technical, I sent the ss to the e-mail address in your profile.

Sorry notdarkyet, I lost your email with my spam killer...
You can post at this forum images on .jpg and .gif all lower than 150Kb of size.
You can send the email again and I'll try not to 'automatically' delete it with the spam killer. Thanks for your effort on teach me.

galaxyclass

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 09:32:40 PM »
I'm still having problems with the file's extension, kubecj said it might have to do with the forum only accepting files with lower case extensions. I'll try and send it again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 04:03:13 AM »
I'm still having problems with the file's extension, kubecj said it might have to do with the forum only accepting files with lower case extensions. I'll try and send it again.

Thanks notdarkyet... I recieve the email and put your email into my 'friends' list. I cannot imagine that your email will be so different from your forum name here... and the message subject was so confusing with virus in the wild of these days.

But, looking the picture I can see you were talking about the Yahoo IM and not about avast. Sorry, I misunderstood you... I do not use YIM so I think I cannot help you too much... The read-only could be associated of other programs (or files) but it remains as 'default' in the browse window of association. Or, another guess from me, it could 'Open as read-only' the  ashQuick.exe security (to not be changed)...

galaxyclass

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 08:42:22 PM »

Thanks notdarkyet... I recieve the email and put your email into my 'friends' list. I cannot imagine that your email will be so different from your forum name here... and the message subject was so confusing with virus in the wild of these days.

But, looking the picture I can see you were talking about the Yahoo IM and not about avast. Sorry, I misunderstood you... I do not use YIM so I think I cannot help you too much... The read-only could be associated of other programs (or files) but it remains as 'default' in the browse window of association. Or, another guess from me, it could 'Open as read-only' the  ashQuick.exe security (to not be changed)...
Hi Technical and sorry if the e-mail was hard to find. :)

It's okay if you can't help much since you don't use YIM. My guess was also that it meant not to allow changes to the file. I'll try and ask elswhere for my answer, thanks for trying though. :)