Author Topic: 13!!! yrs later possible solution to "avast locks my cd drive shut!"  (Read 1177 times)

Offline richvnj

Believe it or not i am still using windows xp & a browser(Mypal) that still has updates every month!!(xp users take note!) -->
http://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases  (i use the win32 update)
I have the same problem with my cd/dvd rom drive stuck shut when i press  the button.
For the heck of it, I just tried right clicking on the avast icon lower right & disabling my avast shield controls & then i retried pressing & HOLDING the cd/dvd rom release button & the door opened!! Sometimes i have to repeat holding the button a 2nd time after the light goes out.
Not sure if this will help anyone.
Don't forget to reenable your shield controls when done!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 13!!! yrs later possible solution to "avast locks my cd drive shut!"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
Well I have never experienced this on my XP Pro system and I have always had Avast installed on it from way back when I purchased it.  I also used Avast on my previous desktop system and in all I have been using Avast for over 15 years and never experienced this.

Currently I'm using avast 18.5 (not 18.8 latest/last XP/Vista compatible version) and no issues with that.  I can't recall having seen an instance of this in the forums.

I have to wonder why the mention your browser as it would appear to be unrelated and popping in a link to download seems more like promotion/link spamming.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
I myself have never had any CD/DVD eject problems on WinXP and Avast in many years of use.
There was an issue of Avast hogging USB drives preventing safe removal many months back, but I only encountered that on Win10.
For CD eject, you can always pop it out using a paper clip or pin if needed.

Offline richvnj

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
TO DAVID R ABOVE
Here is the 13 yr old post:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21204.0
Funny i never noticed that teenie tiny hole below the dvd/cd drive to stick a paper clip into.
& i was very hesistant to do that when i read the above old post yesterday.
But i just gave in & stuck the paper clip in there today, & low & behold the drive opened with Avast free antivirus fully running.
My tower is GIGANTIC with 2 cooling fans & very old.
May have been dirt in there or something jammed. Odd avast coincidence, regarding disabling it. Still scratching my head. lol

If one has windows XP, IMO you should NOT be using safezone(or whatever avast calls it now), or outdated chrome, firefox ESR, or even pale moon.
Mypal is based on pale moon. I love it.
& so is New Moon
https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc
The only other browser updated for XP i could find  is
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/system-requirements
I simply prefer Mypal, which i believe is a labor of love by a handful of developers possibly not interested in profit.
I do not know those people, but i am in awe of them!
"The goal of Mypal is to provide a current, secure, and reliable web browser for Windows XP. Mypal operates identically to Pale Moon with some minor exceptions."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:26:45 PM »
Congratulations in finding the 13 year old post, that I also contributed to (completely forgotten about it), but again it was never pinned down that Avast was responsible.  So we didn't really find an answer then, so two instances in 13 years with missions of users would be very unusual.

But I simply can't see why all the plugs for a browser in the "Avast Products » Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)" forum, that really has nothing to do with the problem.

The safezone browser (an option that I never checked during installations) is was superseded by the Avast Secure Browser (and I haven't installed that either on mywin10 system), a chromium based browser with more security features.

The Avast Secure Browser isn't available on XP/Vista systems as it is only in place with avast version 19.x onwards.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security