Author Topic: Email Problem  (Read 18279 times)

ontariogirl

Email Problem
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:39:49 PM »
Good evening:

I hope I'm in the correct post for my problem.  I'm new to Avast since last evening.  I am able to receive emails however when I try to send I get the following message "The server does not support a SSL connection"  My provider is Bell Sympatico.  I went to their website and it says the problem is with the antivirus.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Ontariogirl

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Email Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:53:46 PM »
Check your email account settings in your email client.
If they are not correct, change them.

Also let us know what OS you are using.
What email client you are using.

ontariogirl

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:56:03 PM »
Hi Eddy, thanks for replying.

I did check my settings; my email was working yesterday before I installed Avast.  I did try to unclick the SSL settings but I still can't send and get more errors.

I use Windows XP and Outlook Express.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:59:33 PM »
What is the exact error you are getting?

ontariogirl

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:55 AM »
Hi Eddy:  Here it is:

"The server does not support a SSL connection, Account 'pophm.sympatico.ca'.  Server: 'smtphm.sympatico.ca.' Protocol SMTP, Server Response '250 OK', Port 25, Secure (SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number 0x800CCC7D"

Good Luck :)

ontariogirl

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:20:49 AM »
Eddy:  I thought I should mention this.  I had to reinstall my OS on Monday due to a worm.  When I reinstalled I selected Norton as my antivirus however yesterday I followed a friend's advise to remove Norton and install Avast.  Maybe that information will help........

OG

ontariogirl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:04:37 AM »
Hi Eddy:

I figured it out...
Avast program settings under SMTP.....

Thanks and have a great day tomorrow!!!!

OG

Loumana

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
Hi, I'm new , and with Bell Sympatico too...Still having the same problem...My Incredimail will not reveive anything and gives me the same error message (or pretty close) as Ontariogirl...it just scans and scans...

Problem is, I still haven't figured out how to reconfigure Avast to accept my incoming Incredimail... ???

Could anyone give me a step by step please?...I'd really appreciate it...Love Incredimail but it won't work since with Sympatico...Won't even open since last night...

Thanks...

Loumana

Loumana

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
Hi again...

I found this step by step in the FAQ section...

Mail Protection Wizard

Remember that avast handles more than one SMTP server, to configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.

2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard

3. Click Next on the first screen

4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
...etc...[/color]

I don't have the "Mail Protection Wizard" when I get to step 2...I get "Help?>Avast Antivirus>Avast website..." ??? ???

How come? I sorta remember configuring emails when I first installed Avast...but can't recall how or where anymore...

Thanks for your help...

Loumana
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:23:13 AM by Loumana »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »
Hi Eddy:

I figured it out...
Avast program settings under SMTP.....

Thanks and have a great day tomorrow!!!!

OG

Hello OntarioGirl, and first of all Welcome to forums !

Another avast! forum member from Ontario here... :)

I'm really surprised this helped with your problem, since those settings has nothing to do with e-mail settings (send/receive) in Outlook Express. Take a look at this screenshot (avast! Program Settings / SMTP):

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 03:40:30 PM »
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
I don't have the "Mail Protection Wizard" when I get to step 2...I get "Help?>Avast Antivirus>Avast website..." ??? ???
You seem to be using XP... and on XP systems there isn't a Mail Protection Wizard because it's not necessary.
The scanning is transparent, automatic, you just need to check the SMTP mail to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
...you just need to check the SMTP mail to be scanned.

Exactly, except not the way OntarioGirl tried... those setting are just for avast! application in case it needs to send some information back to Alwil or something...

You need to do that inside the avast! On-Access Scanner / Internet Mail provider.

Take a look at screenshot:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

ontariogirl

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:34:12 PM »
Good Afternoon SZ and Everyone:

I'll be darned.....I've been away and just tried to send an email and can't, I get the same error as before.  I checked the settings as you indicated and they are set up properly.  I have no idea what to do.  I can receive but cannot send.  (I was able to send email on Friday evening)

Also, there is an error on start-up...it is new since I installed the new internet explorer on Friday after I sent my emails:
"The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"  I have no idea if these are related;

And, I just went through Hotmail to send an email that had an attachment....I was instructed to download ActiveX to send the attachment, however it will not download so I can't send from there either.   Don't know what my problems are......

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:02:29 PM »
I can receive but cannot send.
Even if you uncheck the avast option to scan the outbound emails?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?

Search the board for PSAPI.DLL keyword. You'll find the solution for the error...

And, I just went through Hotmail to send an email that had an attachment....I was instructed to download ActiveX to send the attachment, however it will not download so I can't send from there either.
I'm not sure but it's strange that an ActiveX is required to download emails...
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
 :)  Hi "Ontario" :

Most likely the problem is related to "new internet
     explorer", which is probably IE 7 in "Beta" ( not ready for
     primetime ) form !? Many are having problems with it &
     go back to IE 6; perhaps you should do likewise !?