Author Topic: Email Problem  (Read 18336 times)

ontariogirl

Re: Email Problem
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 01:43:18 AM »
Hi everyone:  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I can now send emails from my sympatico account; I just hadn't followed instructions properly, I thought the "scan outbound emails" had to be checked......so now it is unchecked and working fine.

I found the solution to the PSAPI.DLL in the microsoft website and it is now fixed.

The problem with ActiveX wasn't to download emails but to put an attachment in an email through Hotmail.  I just checked it and it finally allowed me to download ActiveX to perform the task.  I don't know what fixed it because I didn't try to fix anything other than the 2 problems above.  If worse comes to worse I will return to IE6.....

Hopefully I won't have to bother you too much..........

Ontariogirl

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Hi everyone:  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I can now send emails from my sympatico account; I just hadn't followed instructions properly, I thought the "scan outbound emails" had to be checked......so now it is unchecked and working fine.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work fine... Scan Outbound emails MUST be checked in order to protect your outbound e-mails. Someone (I believe it was Tech) from this thread suggested unchecking it just to narrow down the problem. Outbound scanning is as important as inbound is. You have to think about all those people that will receive e-mails from you in the future. If your account is not properly protected, meaning you are protecting just inbound and not outbound too, you're not fully protected. So, in case you are sending viruses with your e-mails, you won't even know because you disabled avast! outbound e-mail protection, so nothing will be there to even inform you in case something wrong is going on.

I still believe e-mail account settings inside your Outlook Express are not properly set. Best thing you can do is to open those settings in Outlook Express and take a screenshot of that page where you configured your "problematic" account.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 04:11:25 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 05:58:46 AM »
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work fine... Scan Outbound emails MUST be checked in order to protect your outbound e-mails. Someone (I believe it was Tech) from this thread suggested unchecking it just to narrow down the problem.
Yes, it's not supposed to be (stay) unchecked forever...
The best things in life are free.

ontariogirl

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 10:13:24 PM »
Hi SZ:  Would it be possible to be more specific about what screen shot I should provide?  Sometimes I need detailed instruction when it comes to computers and their lingo :)  I know how to take a screen shot but not for which part of the set up.

Note that I only had a problem sending emails after I had installed Avast, and I haven't changed any settings in my outlook.  Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks

Ontariogirl

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 02:54:32 AM »
Open your Outlook Express. Go to TOOLS in the upper MENU and click on ACCOUNTS...

Now, choose your account you're having problems with, just click on it once. And press PROPERTIES button on the right side:

Click on SERVERS tab and take a screenshot. Now you have to save that screenshot somewhere, so you can take another few screenshots later (we will need them too) and save them as well:

Once you saved that first screenshot, go back to the same window where we stopped. Then click on SETTINGS button:

...after you press on SETTINGS button, you will see this window. Take a screenshot of this window too and save that picture as well:

Now Click CANCEL to leave OUTGOING MAIL SERVER window:

and click on ADVANCED tab. Take a third screenshot and save that picture too. By now, you should have 3 screenshots:

Hope this helps.
Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:00:26 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

ontariogirl

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »
Here are my settings:

ontariogirl

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 05:13:49 AM »
and the advanced tab....tx again for your help

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 05:58:52 AM »
Regarding your first screenshot, everything seems to be fine, except I hope you erased those account name and password information just to take these screenshots (to hide your personal info of course). But I also hope you have them set properly fot both, incoming and outgoing servers now.

On your third screenshot I see that Sympatico requires a secure connection (SSL - Secure Socket Layer).
avast! antivirus doesn't support scanning of SSL accounts. So, that's the core of your problem.

Advice: Ask Sympatico technical support if they can provide you with information how to access your e-mail (from Outlook Express) not using SSL. If that's possible, then you will be able to have your outgoing mails scanned and controled by avast!

In case they support just SSL connections, then only possibility in your case is to disable scanning of outgoing e-mails, just like you did it few days ago. That's not quite good because it will leave your outgoing e-mails not checked, but at least you will be able to send e-mails from that account (from Outlook Express).

Cheers!

ontariogirl

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:15 AM »
SZ, thanks for the information.  I do have my username and password entered correctly, I thought you'd ask about that.  It was removed strictly for security purposes.  A few questions:

1. I haven't reinstalled Office yet, do you think it would change things if I use Microsoft Outlook as opposed to Express?  (Although I seem to remember that SSL has always been necessary)

2. I'm surprised that other sympatico users are not screaming about this; have you heard of any issue with this before?

3. Do you know of any scanning software that can be used in conjunction with Avast for my email, in the event Bell can't help? (Although new to Avast, so far I like it)

I will install Microsoft Outlook sometime over the next couple of days and will follow your recommendations once I see that it still isn't working as it should. 

Thanks SZ, and all of you who have taken the time to help sort this out.  I will let you know of the final outcome.

Ontariogirl

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 03:09:01 PM »
1. I haven't reinstalled Office yet, do you think it would change things if I use Microsoft Outlook as opposed to Express?  (Although I seem to remember that SSL has always been necessary)

Well, not sure if that would change anything... Sympatico still use SSL. I don't use MS Outlook, so I can't tell much about it, sorry. All I know is that if you start using MS Outlook, you will also have to enable OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE provider in avast! On-Access Scanner settings. In case you will not use Outlook Express any more, you'll not need your INTERNET MAIL provider running any more, so you can disable it completely.

2. I'm surprised that other sympatico users are not screaming about this; have you heard of any issue with this before?

I've heard about similar issues with some other providers, but have no clue what's happening with Sympatico. I never liked them anyway, and was more of a Rogers cable kind of lover :) . But when Rogers cable stopped acting as good ISP, I simply fortgot about them all, and switched to another ISP called Securenet.net with headquarters in Montreal. Old company I worked for as computer technician got me a good deal with this ISP because they have huge contract with them, and all our customers were (are) on Securenet. It's ADSL, high speed of course, and I never ever had any single problem with them... and I'm talking about last 2 and half years.

3. Do you know of any scanning software that can be used in conjunction with Avast for my email, in the event Bell can't help? (Although new to Avast, so far I like it)

Well, I am not that familiar with another software because as I mentioned there is no need on my end to use one... the only account I have that use SSL is GMAIL, but I check that account through WEB access, not through my Outlook Express, and their web access already got some good anti-virus and anti-spam protection. There are some programs that can help you have your outbound (SSL) checked by avast!, but as far as I've heard, there is quite some stuff to be configured in order to make it work properly.

I am sure TECH can help you with this one because I remember he wrote about those programs here in this forum some time ago.

Cheers !

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »
To use SSL with avast you need to use stunnel
A search of this forum will also reveal many examples.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Loumana

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 06:19:24 PM »
Hi Ontariogirl and Everyone!...

As I mentionned a couple posts before...We share the same provider...And I have the same problem...But I'm trying to receive and send mail via Incredimail...

See here what I posted last week...

Loumana

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 03:05:35 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm new , and with Bell Sympatico too...Still having the same problem...My Incredimail will not reveive anything and gives me the same error message (or pretty close) as Ontariogirl...and it just scans and scans...

Problem is, I still haven't figured out how to reconfigure Avast to accept my incoming Incredimail...

Could anyone give me a step by step please?...I'd really appreciate it...Love Incredimail but it won't work since with Sympatico...Won't even open since last night...

Thanks...

Loumana 

Can't wait to hear if you try that "Stunnel" application, if it works...And...Do I really have to "be a Lama"? LOLL!!

See Y'all!

Loumana
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:50:50 AM by Loumana »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 07:03:44 PM »
Incredimail... or Outlook Express still receive and/or send email
the same way.
Incredimail just has some extra bells ans whistles.
Neither of these can do anything to solve you SSL problem without a program like stunnel.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

ontariogirl

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks Bob.....I will try that tonight.  If I get it set up I will post back tonight whatever the outcome, if not it will be Sunday.   Loumana, stay tuned and good luck!!!

Have a nice day !!!!

O-G

Loumana

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
Thanks Bob! Ontariogirl, I'll stay tuned!...Thanks!

Loumana