Author Topic: BSOD Caused by Avast  (Read 1087 times)

Offline fireworksheavens

BSOD Caused by Avast
« on: September 02, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
The file aswstm.sys caused my computer to blue screen on shutdown the other night. The dump report pointed to that file, so I assume there's something wrong with it from a recent update.
I assume I just need to wait for a fix.
I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64. Yea I know Windows 7 support is going bye-bye in January, so I'm only bringing this issue to your attention for others who used W7, as well as any who are using W10 who might be experiencing the same problem.
Thank you.

System specs: 2TB hard disk space, 16GB RAM

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BSOD Caused by Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Save any dump files and zip them in a uniquely named zip file (e.g. your forum user name-yymmdd (date format), they could be of use to the avast team.

The one piece of information that you don't give, the avast program type and its version number ?

MS killed support for XP/Vista many years ago, but it is only recently that Avast dropped support for XP/Vista in avast 18.8.xxxx.  So there should still be support for win7 by avast for some time yet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security