Author Topic: Outlook & "signatures" (new user)  (Read 3073 times)

Orion

Outlook & "signatures" (new user)
« on: January 14, 2004, 08:56:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,
am a new user of Avast Home and I use Outlook 2000 for emailing. Now in the customize setup of the resident scanner is a tab saying "signatures" with a checkbox "by using signatures you can minimize the time it takes Avast to scan a message" and then you can either use these signatures or not.

What are these signatures, am afraid I don't understand this at all??

Cheers from Orion ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Outlook & "signatures" (new user)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 10:00:30 AM »
I believe they're discribed in the help  ;D

Shortly, they are digital signatures of the mail message, written there by an avast! scanner. This proves that the message has been scanned on the way. (Not like the usual inserted notes "message scanned by..." - theoretically, anybody can write such a foot to his/her e-mail message, without any relevance to the actual scanning).

The note about the "minimizing the number of scans" means that if there's some other avast! scanner on the way (either the sender of the message uses it, or the mail server you are using is running avast) - then your avast! e-mail scanner doesn't have to scan the message again (when you receive it) - if it was already scanned and signed.
I'd say it's not very likely to help you much (currently).

Orion

Re:Outlook & "signatures" (new user)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 10:12:59 AM »
Ooops, I blush.. I looked at email scan, not resident protection. But I agree that it does seem very unlikely to speed anything up so will switch it off!

Cheers, Orion