Author Topic: Virus Detection Help  (Read 6468 times)

Chronotrigga

Virus Detection Help
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
I recently was surfing a design website and an error popped up saying something about a Trojan Horse trying to access my computer/download. It gave me the option to "Abort Connection", and I got confused. The way it was written, I didn't know what to do. What I did was Click the X instead of Abort Connection. Was that wrong? Because I definently did not want it on my computer.

I went on the faq:

avast! states it has found a virus, but it only offers me the choice of: "Abort connection". Why can't I delete this virus?

A: You can't delete this virus as it's not actually on your computer. It is in fact somewhere on the net and was detected by one of the avast! resident providers - Web Shield. This provider scans all files that are downloaded via the Internet (HTTP protocol) before they're saved onto your local disk. The only action that can be taken is to abort the connection and not allow the virus to download.

---------------------------------

Or is pressing X also allowing it to Abort Connection?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus Detection Help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
Abort the connection only stops the download of that file to your HDD, browse cache, etc. and doesn't terminate your internet connection.

There is no need to delete a virus that isn't yet on your system, the Web Shield pre scans content before it is saved to your browser cache, prevention is better than cure.

I would have thought the X would be no action Abort or otherwise, but the Standard Shield may provide back-up if it is saved to the browser cache. I would suggest that you clear the browser cache and do an avast on-demand scan.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 05:30:48 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
WebShield detects the internet traffic (http) and prevents you even to save the infected files in your computer.
If you abort connection, the file is not saved.
If you close that window, the file is saved without warning IF your Standard Shield sensitivity is set to Normal. If your Standard Shield sensitivity is set to High, you'll be warned.

Anyway, Standard Shield will caught the virus 'before' it is running (or executed).
The best things in life are free.

Chronotrigga

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
So I exited, and now it is on my computer.. Should I scan in safe mode? (I do not know what you are talking about of an On-Demand scan, sorry)

Edit: Where can I find the browser cache? Do you mean the Log Viewer, because I have several entries in my WARNING box.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 05:56:17 PM by Chronotrigga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »
No I don't mean the Log Viewer. You can clear the browser cache (Temporary Internet Files) from within the browser, see image, example IE6.

There should be no need to scan from safe mode unless you experience a problem in dealing with a suspect file from a normal scan. If you happen to have winXP you can/could schedule a boot-time scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Chronotrigga

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 07:46:12 PM »
Ohh. Done and Done.

I ran the Avast! Virus Scanner and nothing came up. So.. Im guessing the Trojan is still on my computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »
Should I scan in safe mode?
Better schedule a boot-time scanning: start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.

I ran the Avast! Virus Scanner and nothing came up. So. Im guessing the Trojan is still on my computer.
Maybe not... did you run in Safe Mode or, better, in boot time or just a normal thorough avast scanning?
Download, install, update and run trojan removers: a-squared, ewido or Spyware Terminator.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 08:01:46 PM »
Ohh. Done and Done.

I ran the Avast! Virus Scanner and nothing came up. So.. Im guessing the Trojan is still on my computer.

I think if you cleared your Temporary Internet Files before the scan and nothing was detected then you may be in the clear. If avast can detect it using web shield it should be able to detect it using the on-demand scan, depending on your settings. But, the boot-time scan would be better.

Chronotrigga

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 11:29:25 PM »
Okay, I will run a boot-time scan. Ill let you know how it goes.