Author Topic: Startup and Graphic Problems  (Read 15010 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Startup and Graphic Problems
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 05:46:49 AM »
OK ... I always said I wouldn't ever really be an avast enthusiast, but honestly, if you have the choice of avast free and ZoneAlarm free together (they work just fine) why not make ZA your firewall and avast your AV including your email scans?  It costs nothing ... zero. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 05:53:27 AM »
I always said I wouldn't ever really be an avast enthusiast
Why not?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »
I shut off ZA's spy program it has but that's the one I don't know if I should turn back on for sure too.  I also have win patrol running.
That is wise, my firewall also has an anti-spyware plug-in with that running it scans lots of file on boot and avast is forced to scan those same files, slowing boot times because of this. With other anti-spyware cover you don't need the gimics of the firewall one.

I've shut off mail scanning by both ZA & Avast. They say the mail is just like any other files & we don't need email scanning by antivirus. True or not?
Who are they because you should stop listening to them ? Emails aren't just like other files, multiple emails are often stored in a single file, e.g. Outlook Express uses a database file .dbx any infected email would have to be extracted from that .dbx database file if it wasn't detected/scanned before it was saved there.

The act of extracting an infected email from the .dbx database file could either fail or corrupt the .dbx file rendering it useless and the emails in it that weren't infected also lost to you. It is also very common for some AVs to treat these files as a normal file and delete the whole file and however many emails that are stored within it. So emails are not the same as normal files. ThunderBird in its FAQs warns of ths possibility about AVs deteting this type of email folder/database file with the loss of all emails in that database.

So no you shouldn't disable the avast Internet Mail scanner as it scans email before it is stored, making the above problem less of an issue. Prevention is much better than treatment.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GeminiRose

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
 :)  Thank you David for your good advice! I thought about it last nite & went in and turned avast back on. Made me too nervous to be without. I've never had a virus & don't want any!  Saw another setting also, do you have it send it to your inbox or tell it to discard unconditionally? The default was to send it to inbox.

Thanks so much for the advice :)  It's always good to learn before the fact not after.

GeminiRose

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
<snip>
Saw another setting also, do you have it send it to your inbox or tell it to discard unconditionally? The default was to send it to inbox.

Thanks so much for the advice :)  It's always good to learn before the fact not after.

GeminiRose
I don't know what your email program is  ?
The Internet Mail provider doesn't have this option, only the Outlook/Exchange (for MS Outlook, not express). So if you are using MS Outlook then you would choose Discard Unconditionally or move to another Outlook folder (like infected or suspect emails, etc.) if you wanted to investigate them. However, for you purposes Discard Unconditionally would be the best option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GeminiRose

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »
My email program is Outlook Express

GeminiRose

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »
Then you don't require the Outlook/Exchange provider/plug-in enabled (Terminate it) and this option isn't available to you in Outlook Express/Internet mail provider.

harlemnocturn

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2006, 02:52:59 AM »
Fellow Avast users, it was on August 19, over a week ago, that I emailed Sunbelt.  Still, no response.  So, I uninstalled Kerio and now have Zone Alarm, which seems more promising than my last remembrance.  This time I did a clean install.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 03:41:55 AM »
Fellow Avast users, it was on August 19, over a week ago, that I emailed Sunbelt.  Still, no response.
Before it was bought by Sunbelt, Kerio support wasn't that bad if I remember correctly...
Anyway, I think Comodo is better than ZA free. If you want a little bit more secure and configurable firewall...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

testy

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2006, 05:27:36 AM »
Be sure to use the Beta version of Comodo.  It is so much better.  The stable version is being released sometime next week but why wait?  Click on the second hyperlink in the link I am providing to download the beta version.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=820478

After installation, you can go to "msconfig" and tun off the "Comodo Launch Pad".