Author Topic: Startup and Graphic Problems  (Read 14949 times)

harlemnocturn

Re: Startup and Graphic Problems
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
I just deactivated Kerio and I experienced no problems with drop down menus.  The problem did not occur in Avast.  The menus in Internet Explorer and the programs in the system tray no longer display as light and transparent as they did with just Avast active.  So, I concur with those who say that the most recent version of Kerio is the problem.  However, for Comodo users, they also have a competing antivirus program as well which may draw users away from Avast.  What about running Avast with just Windows Firewall?  After all, cable requires a router which is also suppose to offer firewall protection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 05:31:33 PM »
The Comodo AV is no match for avast or even close at this time it is just out of beta (pre 1.0 release version)I believe but very much still in development.
Comodo AntiVirus 1.1 beta, all subsequent beta versions and the final release version will each be available free to both home and business users

The person who called XP's fire_all a firewall should be hung, drawn, quartered, shot and given a good kicking for good measure. A firedoor that only protects you from fire from one side isn't a firedoor. The XP fire_all doesn't provide protection against unauthorised outbound internet connections.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

testy

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 06:09:41 PM »
Until that update of Kerio a week or so ago, I had no problems with the firewall.  I was perfectly happy with it.  Of all the firewalls, I think ZA is the easiest to use.  Everything is self explanatory.  No need to spend hours reading faq sheets and other bull with ZA.  My problem was with its use of resources, it took forever to load when the computer was rebooted.  Kerio, took a little more time to get used to the way it went about doing things,  many trips to its website and reading over faq sheets.  I finally worked it all out.  Comodo on the other hand is confusing, I "did" read the faq sheets and read over the website before installing.  Didn't explain itself very well.  After many hours searching on its website I discover it has a pre-approved list of programs Comodo has determined is safe for access to internet.  I'm a little confused IE was pre-approved but Outlook Express isn't.  I also don't like the way you have to open Comodo.  When it opens, you have to go to a Comodo Launch Pad, the hit another button to open the interface where you can check setting or do anything else you might need to do.  Annoying.  My 2 cents for what it's worth.

roro

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 08:31:58 AM »
I did uninstall Kerio and install Comodo Free Firewall.  Everything is working fine now.
I haven't found Comodo a problem at all so far.
Also it certainly won't encourage me giving up my Avast for Comodo Antivirus.  :o
Avast is definitely my antivirus of choice.
 BTW, I had been having a problem with my graphics program and that has been solved too; although I can't imagine what one had to do with the other.

Good Luck!

Ro Ro 8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 08:38:07 AM by roro »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »
I have no wish to appear defensive (or reason to do so) but I hope that harlemnocturn will understand that the majority of us participating in this forum are fellow avast users. 

For most of us, we do not have the resources to emulate exactly (if it be known - often sketchy in this forum) the user's environment - so we are just fellow users trying to help.

It seems that user participation may have pinpointed the issue but I will confess a disappointment with the contribution of the avast team to this issue - and leave it at that (though noting that the avast folks are entitled to summer vacations with their families too).

On firewalls - risking the wrath of someone I much respect (Hi David!) I am continuing the four month experiment I started on my new machine just using Windows XP Firewall (even though I understand and largely agree with the oft stated viewpoint of DavidR). 

I rather agree with the summary of testy.  Most of those I support are on ZoneAlarm - cos it is easy to understand.  I tried Comodo but it was not something I feel comfortable trying to get those I support to use. 

I think the one I really want to use is Outpost - but that is just the geek in me and it seems to offer the most information and flexibility of reporting interface conditions that I want. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
Quote from: alanrf
On firewalls - risking the wrath of someone I much respect (Hi David!) I am continuing the four month experiment I started on my new machine just using Windows XP Firewall (even though I understand and largely agree with the oft stated viewpoint of DavidR).

I have no problem with that, your savvy enough to keep out of trouble in the first place so if you don't get infected by a trojan downloader or key logger, etc. that is going to want to connect to the internet, you could get away with it. But, you are realistic in what you recommend to those you support, a firewall ZA with outbound protection that is simple to use with a friendly user interface for your average user.

With the security systems in place, a more secure browser than IE6, DropMyRights, etc. I too could just use the XP firewall, which is good at stealthing your ports, but I use Outpost Pro. However, for the average user outbound firewall protection is a additional link in the security chain for when stuff does get past their defences.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

harlemnocturn

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 11:03:39 PM »
For the benefit of alanrf I have no problem with this forum because I was able to isolate the problem and will most likely uninstall Kerio if their Technical Support does not respond favorably.  The real thorn in our sides is that company also known by the abbreviation MS.  Originally I thought the problem was in Internet Explorer.  They won't even fix their defective web pages so users can scroll down and navigate them.  Incidentally, I thought Kerio and Avast were made to be compatible.  I used to run Zone Alarm with another antivirus program, until I saw that the latest version of Zone Alarm did not run as well as the previous.  Was I wrong to believe that Avast and Zone Alarm were incompatible?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 11:13:07 PM »
There was a version of avast for Kerio so time ago but that was based on an older version of Kerio. Up until recently avast and Kerio worked well together.

Many of those experiencing problems (not just relating to this topic) with the latest Kerio are going back to an earlier version 2.5 or there abouts.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »
I had no problem with running the ZoneAlarm free versions for a long period with avast.  The folks I support are using avast (free) and ZA (free) without problems. 

The only issue I know of is one issue between ZoneAlarm Pro and avast.  This is covered in a warning box when avast is installed with options to avoid the problem.  I will not go into more detail since it is well covered elsewhere in the forum.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:24:01 PM by alanrf »

harlemnocturn

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:33 AM »
I now remember that when I updated Zone Alarm I did not uninstall the previous version - I updated the older one.  Most likely I ought to have done a clean install of the program.  Still, I am curious as to whether Sunbelt is going to respond to my email.

testy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 04:05:02 AM »
I never had any problem with ZA except that I hated how long it to to load when the computer was rebooted.  Kerio and Comodo seem to load much faster.

GeminiRose

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:18 AM »
Hi!  I uninstalled Kerio & installed Zone Alarm. Hope I'm not sorry now.  I haven't had a problem since. My machine runs really good. WHEW
 I didn't know for sure what to do in ZA, but I think it was Kim Komando that said not to run anymore than one firewall/antivirus/spyware at the same time so am running spysweeper with all it's shields running, I shut off ZA's spy program it has but that's the one I don't know if I should turn back on for sure too.  I also have win patrol running. I've shut off mail scanning by both ZA & Avast. They say the mail is just like any other files & we don't need email scanning by antivirus. True or not? I'm no expert but everything seems to be runnning great so far. No more shadow problems or any other with my AVast.  On my zone alarm I will run periodic scans with their spy program as well as my spy bot, Adaware, & spydoctor. Does this setup sound reasonable or is there anything I should change?

Thanks once again for all the help! It's much appreciated

GeminiRose

testy

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 04:40:18 AM »
I wouldn't turn off Avast e-mail scanning.  It is so fast you hardly notice it.

harlemnocturn

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 04:43:53 AM »
GeminiRose

I am no expert compared to those other participants on this forum, especially the moderators; however, when I took the A+ course at DeVry my instructor told me to consider myself one.  So, I leave the rest of the figuring on that up to you.  Anyway, one of the reasons I went in for the alternative programs as opposed to the ones that come with computers is that they can scan incoming and outgoing email messages, though you might be able to set up your ISP to do some of that nowadays.  Anyway these messages and attachments are a primary means where malicious codes enter into the system.  As far as scanning, everything that you do helps.

harlemnocturn

GeminiRose

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 05:04:51 AM »
 :)  Thanks, Harlemnocturn & Testy. Turned back on my email scan in ZA but left Avast's off.  I'm trying the 15 day trial of ZA Pro. So far I really like it better than I did Kerio.

I'm glad they allow these trials, because who knows for sure what they need or want if you haven't tried them.

GeminiRose