Author Topic: Possible hidden threat  (Read 1752 times)

Offline RadiantX

Possible hidden threat
« on: September 14, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »
I have just recently reset my computer, but regardless I have been encountering several memory issues in its usage lately. I don't usually play excessively heavy applications/games and whatnot, on the other hand, I use applications and play games that are all but heavy for computers nowadays. But as of these latest weeks, recently, it seems my CPU/hardware is struggling to keep up even with playing videos on YouTube at times at qualities that I could keep up with just fine weeks ago. My audio at times gets fuzzy, almost as if my computer was struggling with memory and at the same time sometimes, the screen's frequency can't keep up either and there's a literal 'buzz' during any motion on a game, almost as if the screen couldn't refresh just in time.

None of this was happening just recently, so I am mostly afraid I may have somehow caught a malicious malware that's using my computer's processor. Could anyone here confirm this with the logs provided? Otherwise, I suppose my hardware might be malfunctioning.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Possible hidden threat
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 07:33:40 PM »
Sounds more like a hardware problem then a software one. I will grab Sass Drake though.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 07:35:58 PM »
Like Michael said, you have problem related hardware, drivers or too high overclock.

Offline RadiantX

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
Like Michael said, you have problem related hardware, drivers or too high overclock.

I wouldn't dismiss that, but were the logs checked and are you sure there's no threat? Because strange events are occurring. Just yesterday I had booted my computer and it opened the 'Boot Menu' by itself without me having had pressed any key, asking me whether I wanted to boot Windows or travel to the setup menu (BIOS settings I believe).

Now, today, as soon as I booted it up and logged— something was off. The screen's settings are... weird? Its natural contrast had changed and so has gamma and brightness, and last night, before I shut it down, I hadn't tampered anything and it was all normal. What's weirder, once I went in the settings, all the settings were at their normal values. It is as if the screen's natural or whatnot input values have been changed instead? I am not sure if I'm putting it down clear enough, but I sure as hell haven't done anything.

Can someone confirm by my logs whether I have a malware or not?

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
Sass Drake is the expert in FRST logs around here (among a few others). He would've looked over them when he swung by earlier.

I didn't see anything even remotely suspicious in your log entries, honestly. I would recommend you head over to http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/9-hardware-components-and-peripherals/

The guys their know their stuff when it comes to technology. They're a little more qualified to assist in hardware issues then anyone else here.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss that, but were the logs checked and are you sure there's no threat? Because strange events are occurring. Just yesterday I had booted my computer and it opened the 'Boot Menu' by itself without me having had pressed any key, asking me whether I wanted to boot Windows or travel to the setup menu (BIOS settings I believe).

Now, today, as soon as I booted it up and logged— something was off. The screen's settings are... weird? Its natural contrast had changed and so has gamma and brightness, and last night, before I shut it down, I hadn't tampered anything and it was all normal. What's weirder, once I went in the settings, all the settings were at their normal values. It is as if the screen's natural or whatnot input values have been changed instead? I am not sure if I'm putting it down clear enough, but I sure as hell haven't done anything.

Can someone confirm by my logs whether I have a malware or not?

YOu logs doesn't show traces of malware and your PC behaviour is caused by hardware problem. Especially one with Boot Menu.