Author Topic: Avast 14.1 - Wi-Fi Inspector / Other Device Results  (Read 2199 times)

Offline drake145

Avast 14.1 - Wi-Fi Inspector / Other Device Results
« on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »
Hi,

I updated to Avast 14.1 today, and noticed the following after running the wi-fi inspector:

-the wi-fi inspector results show "Learn More", in the "Other Devices" section, instead of the status of the device.
     -When clicking on "learn more", it opens two upgrade screens.

My question is: Is the wi-fi inspector scan on "Other Devices" now an Avast Premium feature?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:29:31 AM by drake145 »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Avast 14.1 - Wi-Fi Inspector / Other Device Results
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
Hello drake145,
We have redesigned the Wi-Fi Inspector behaviour in the version 14. We want to provide great and free protection to as many users as possible while providing something extra to the premium users. Therefore we had implemented following changes
1) Wi-Fi Inspector runs automatically when you connects to new network and warns you if there are any vulnerabilities found. It should provide better and seamless protection. You can turn it off in Preferences, of course.
2) Free users can see detailed info about their device and the router(the most important ones). Details of "other devices" are available only to Premium customers.
3) Premium users also get the "Monitor network" feature that proactively scans their network ad reports all new devices that connected.

Lukas.

Hi,

I updated to Avast 14.1 today, and noticed the following after running the wi-fi inspector:

-the wi-fi inspector results show "Learn More", in the "Other Devices" section, instead of the status of the device.
     -When clicking on "learn more", it opens two upgrade screens.

My question is: Is the wi-fi inspector scan on "Other Devices" now an Avast Premium feature?
Quality is also a feature.

Offline drake145

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Lukas,

Thanks for the reply. Since the free version now only provides results for the current device, and the router, what is the purpose of scanning the other devices if the results are not accessible?
I would think the scan would be faster for free users if the scan for other devices were turned off, no?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 02:04:19 PM by drake145 »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
Great question! The "free" scan only enumerates the connected devices to show that there is a possibility to "see more about them" in the premium version. The free scan should be faster than checking devices for vulnerabilities which is possible in premium version.

Lukas,

Thanks for the reply. Since the free version now only provides results for the current device, and the router, what is the purpose of scanning the other devices if the results are not accessible?
I would think the scan would be faster for free users if the scan for other devices were turned off, no?
Quality is also a feature.

Offline drake145

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
Noted and thanks.