Author Topic: Version: 19.8 (September 2019)  (Read 144031 times)

Offline Cyberdom

Re: NEW Version: 19.8 (September 2019)
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
Same on my side. Indeed, it would be nice to have more information on these updates.

Another thing, is it normal that with Edge, site security certificates display that they are issued by "Avast Web/Mail Shield Root" ?
Is it possible to display the real issuer of the security certificate of each site (as in Chrome for example) and not "Avast Web/Mail Shield Root" ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:17:19 PM by Cyberdom »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
Mine are still 19.8.2393 (version 19.8.4793.541) , up to date and avast doesn't ask me to restart my computers (x4 - 2W7 & 2W10)  ::)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:45:58 PM by chris.. »

Offline jf22

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2019, 05:22:22 PM »
This was my problem. Thanks for very clear explanation.
I spoke too soon. Did restart computer and program version did not change. still at 19.8.2393 build 19.8.4793.541.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:29:12 PM by jf22 »

Offline NielsDalhoff

« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
I have issues with this version.
When starting the Smart Scan - is halts on 75% when scanning for Browser threats.
From the joblist I can see that multible Avast Secure browsers are spawned. I have tried to leave the PC on for a day, but nothing happens - it does not progress any further. If I then try to stop the scanning then the program goes into an unresponsive condition, and last ressort is to reboot the pc.

I have also tried to enforce a scan upon boot, but windows just start normally without any boot-scan.

I choose to uninstall the Avast Secure Browser just to see if it had any effect on the Smart Scan, but the outcome was the same.
Note on the uninstall: Windows gave a warning/error upon uninstalling stating that the setup.exe contained a "buffer-overflow" that contained a threat.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:59:25 PM by NielsDalhoff »

Offline BRANKO10

« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
Info from Microsoft to me?
Microsoft will prevent users of some VG and Avast antivirus software from upgrading to the latest version of Windows 10 due to a compatibility issue.

The message from Microsoft:

“To safeguard your upgrade experience, we have applied a hold on devices with affected Avast and AVG Antivirus from being offered or installing Windows 10, version 1903 or Windows 10, version 1909, until the application is updated,” Microsoft says.

To get around the block, users will need to download and install an updated version of Avast or AVG.

The updates and installation instructions for updating the antivirus software are available on Avast and AVG support pages.

While this is the first time Microsoft has reported a compatibility block for AVG and Avast, some users have reported being unable to install version 1903 since August.

Avast acquired AVG in 2016. AVG’s page notes the block affects AVG Ultimate 19.5 and lower, AVG Internet Security 19.5 and lower, and AVG AntiVirus FREE 19.5 and lower.

Avast products affected include Avast Premium Security 19.5 and lower, Avast Premier 19.5 and lower, Avast Internet Security 19.5 and lower, and Avast Free Antivirus 19.5 and lower.

Microsoft has also imposed a compatibility block on Windows 10 updates for versions 1903, 1909, and 1809, due a compatibility problem with certain Qualcomm Wi-Fi drivers. Affected users should see a message in Windows 10 Setup that draws attention to the need to update the driver.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
If you're running an old version of Avast or AVG, you aren't getting the maximum protection.
Those old versions also aren't compatible with the latest Windows 10 update.
The current version of Avast is 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.544).
Update and be safe and have no problem with your Windows 10 v.1909 update.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline dragon03201978

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »
Hello Everyone. I am also dealing with the block. Here are the details surrounding the block on my computer:
  • Windows 10
  • Avast free trial
  • 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.544)

As I understand it from the previous post, if I have a later version of Avast's build list, then I will no longer be blocked while doing the smart scan. Unfortunately, this is not currently the case. Its build version is 19.8. Furthermore, 19.8 is later than 19.3. Are others still experiencing the block problem as well?

Please note, after reading Brank010's post, I went to the settings of Avast's Free Antivirus running on my computer. Then I checked how recently it had updated. Even though it claimed to be fully updated, I clicked the update button for:
  • "Virus Definitions"
  • "Application"

Unfortunately, the application is still hanging. On the plus side, because Avast barely consumes computer resources, I can let it hang indefinitely. On the minus side, I am wondering how foolish I am being allowing my computer to surf the web long enough to check my email and report all this here on Avast's forums.  My guess is that neither checking email or posting on Avast is all that foolish.

For now, I am going to let it hang until I am ready to shutdown my computer. Perhaps next time I turn it on one of three things may happen:
  • Avast no longer hangs on the previously mentioned step.
  • One of you posts more steps to stop it from hanging.
  • I find the article on Microsoft's website that explains this block and how to fix it. The explanation is sufficient for us to fix the problem.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Hello Everyone. I am also dealing with the block. Here are the details surrounding the block on my computer:
  • Windows 10
  • Avast free trial
  • 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.544)
As I understand it from the previous post, if I have a later version of Avast's build list, then I will no longer be blocked while doing the smart scan. Unfortunately, this is not currently the case. Its build version is 19.8. Furthermore, 19.8 is later than 19.3. Are others still experiencing the block problem as well?

Please note, after reading Brank010's post, I went to the settings of Avast's Free Antivirus running on my computer. Then I checked how recently it had updated. Even though it claimed to be fully updated, I clicked the update button for:
  • "Virus Definitions"
  • "Application"
Unfortunately, the application is still hanging. On the plus side, because Avast barely consumes computer resources, I can let it hang indefinitely. On the minus side, I am wondering how foolish I am being allowing my computer to surf the web long enough to check my email and report all this here on Avast's forums.  My guess is that neither checking email or posting on Avast is all that foolish.

For now, I am going to let it hang until I am ready to shutdown my computer. Perhaps next time I turn it on one of three things may happen:
  • Avast no longer hangs on the previously mentioned step.
  • One of you posts more steps to stop it from hanging.
  • I find the article on Microsoft's website that explains this block and how to fix it. The explanation is sufficient for us to fix the problem.
There is no such animal as Avast Free Trial.
Once you update to the latest version of Avast, there isn't any block by Microsoft if updating to v.1909
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline dwh

« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »
@  dwh
If you are waiting for an offline installation file with all of the combined minor build changes, I fear you will be waiting for a long time.  The Update Servers would be in a permanent state of change (as an avast user I have no idea how avast could manage that). 

Just thought you'd like to know I'm still waiting as there was no October update (nor November nor so far December).

I don't consider this dangerous, since program updates are mostly about feature changes, etc. and it's the virus definitions and associated engine updates are the guts of detection.

I fear you are very much overestimating the number of builds involved.  I'm only asking that the offline installer be overwritten when a build is pushed.  If it's too much to make an announcement, I'm fine with that.  The 3rd-party tool I use to check for updates will tell me anyway.  When the next program arrives and I install it (after watching the forum for issues for a bit), I'll do a daily check for a build number change to see.

I guess I do want them to obey the Program Update settings and not push out any program changes (e.g. "minor" builds) without asking if I say I want to be asked.

Quote from: DavidR
Given that there is essentially a Program Update almost monthly as it is and when released that Program Version (in that state) is available for download.

(Still waiting...) :-)

Quote from: DavidR
I honestly don't know why you don't use the Program Update function within the UI when notified of a program update.  Generally that is what I do on my systems but I also download and save the off-line installation file, if I needed to revert to an earlier version.

I am interested in such things.  Most people rightfully want to trust the vendor to make things as easy as possible.  I actively manage my system's maintenance because I'm interested in such things.  I can have 100% confidence that there are no holes opened up if I use an offline installer while disconnected; I go from a fully-running old version to a fully-running new version while online.  (This exercise has made me realize I need to watch out for Avast unexpectedly saying it needs a restart and to do those disconnected too.)

Offline vstsr

« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2019, 01:37:58 AM »
<snip quote>
The only way I found to get rid of odd/erratic behaviors of avast is to uninstall the behavior shield (and web shield and mail shield). It creeps into everything, and it interferes with much better behavior shield of comodo (HIPS). Same goes for driver updater (always only take driver updates from your system manufacturer, not third party, not even part manufacturer) and system fixer (ccleaner), and all other such parts (even vpn, get one with manual firewall/kill switch which works before and after).

And there you mention the magic word C o m o d o, there are many instances in this forum of conflict between the two.

In the same way removing C o m o d o would probably remove any possible "odd/erratic" behaviors as removing one side of a conflict is likely to resolve it..

Comodo's HIPS behavior shield has been around for long, is reliable, and gives many more fine-grained options to adjust it than Avast's behavior shield. Avast's behavior shield does not give me the feeling I am in control, but rather, that the program does whatever it "deems" to be best for the user, which, logically, it cannot know, and therefore cannot achieve. With Comodo HIPS, you get a dialogue, if you choose to be informed and want to decide on a case by case basis. And you get a history of your decisions and can edit those settings chosen for each program that ran and required permissions. It detects even gov or other spy programs smuggled-in by ISPs. Is there any better execution firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2019, 01:59:30 AM »
<snip quote>
The only way I found to get rid of odd/erratic behaviors of avast is to uninstall the behavior shield (and web shield and mail shield). It creeps into everything, and it interferes with much better behavior shield of comodo (HIPS). Same goes for driver updater (always only take driver updates from your system manufacturer, not third party, not even part manufacturer) and system fixer (ccleaner), and all other such parts (even vpn, get one with manual firewall/kill switch which works before and after).

And there you mention the magic word C o m o d o, there are many instances in this forum of conflict between the two.

In the same way removing C o m o d o would probably remove any possible "odd/erratic" behaviors as removing one side of a conflict is likely to resolve it..

Comodo's HIPS behavior shield has been around for long, is reliable,
<snip comodo promotion>

How long it has been around isn't the issue, conflict is the issue.

I have been using Avast Free of over 15 years and as long as it has had the Behaviour Shield that too has been running without problem.  My only concession is to set it t Ask (like if have for all shields).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vstsr

« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
<snip quote>

Comodo's HIPS behavior shield has been around for long, is reliable,
<snip comodo promotion>

How long it has been around isn't the issue, conflict is the issue.

I have been using Avast Free of over 15 years and as long as it has had the Behaviour Shield that too has been running without problem.  My only concession is to set it t Ask (like if have for all shields).

But it does not give you achoice of what to do in !each case! or !per program!, which means you are not in control...and that is a joke.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
But it does not give you achoice of what to do in !each case! or !per program!, which means you are not in control...and that is a joke.
It does, as mentioned by Dave you can set it to "Ask". Further, you can't compare a HIPS with a BHS, different things.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jacques.subileau

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
I was asked to restart my computer this afternoon by Avast. Before restarting my Avast version was 19.8.2393(19.8.4793.545) and my GUI was 1.0.437. After a restart my Avast version is 19.8.2393(19.8.4257.546) and my GUI version did not change. Curious to go from...4793 to ...4257. Any explanation ?
Main: Win10 Family 20H2 64bit / Core i7-6500 2.5GHz / 8GB RAM / Avast free 21.2
Other: Win10 Family 20H2 64bit / Core i5-7200 2.5GHz / 8GB RAM / Avast free 21.2

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
I was asked to restart my computer this afternoon by Avast. Before restarting my Avast version was 19.8.2393(19.8.4793.545) and my GUI was 1.0.437. After a restart my Avast version is 19.8.2393(19.8.4257.546) and my GUI version did not change. Curious to go from...4793 to ...4257. Any explanation ?

Not seen any request to restart, so I can't really comment.

However, it isn't unusual to see minor version (build number) updates as the Virus Definitions updates also include the ability to update Engines.  That said it is unusual to see the build number go down.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security