Author Topic: Slowdown  (Read 2921 times)

sembazuru

Slowdown
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:12:41 AM »
After installing Avast4 on my new laptop I notice that web browsing is impossibly slow! What's going on? Is it the initial boot scan (and can I disable that?) or has this something to do with Web Shield scanning every page I try to surf to? I'm using Netscape Navigator and DO NOT have Zone Alarm, just the regular XP firewall activated. Help! This computer is for my 72 year old aunt and I have to get things straightened out before I give it to her.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:26:09 AM »
After installing Avast4 on my new laptop I notice that web browsing is impossibly slow! What's going on? Is it the initial boot scan (and can I disable that?) or has this something to do with Web Shield scanning every page I try to surf to?
Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity? High or Normal?
Just browsing is slow or everything you do?
If you disable WebShield, what do you get?
The best things in life are free.

sembazuru

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:31:13 AM »
Standard Shield and Web Shield are both set on High. Can I disable Web Shield and still have virus protection? Sorry to be so ignorant. (I saw where I can adjust setting under the Customize tab).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:28:53 AM »
Standard Shield and Web Shield are both set on High.
The best balance is Standard Shield on Normal. You can keep Web Shield on High.

Can I disable Web Shield and still have virus protection? Sorry to be so ignorant. (I saw where I can adjust setting under the Customize tab).
You're not ignorant at all... asking is a signal of wisdow...
In fact you'll be protected without WebShield but it's not recommended as it scans the http traffic (Internet traffic) and avoid the infected files even to be saved to your disk. Standard Shield will caught the files later anyway... but why will you lost this fantastic avast feature?
The best things in life are free.

sembazuru

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:44:28 PM »
tandard Shield will caught the files later anyway... but why will you lost this fantastic avast feature?

I will lose it (or give it up) because I am on a dial-up connection and cannot afford the slow down Web Shield apparently causes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm on dial-up and see no noticable difference with the web shield on or off. Dial-up is so slow that the web shield has plenty of time to scan any content.

If you take the web shield out of the detection loop instead of detecting something before it gets on to your HDD and not active is much better than trying to deal with it on your system. Prevention is preferable to treatement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security