Author Topic: Cant create Rescue disk (USB) after latest update 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.535  (Read 63208 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Updated Avast Free to 20.1.2397 (build 20.1.5069.528).
New Avast "Rescue Disk" can now be created once more.  :)

Offline MaxLV

Haven't seen it reported by anyone else yet...
Every time I try to run create a Rescue Disk, I get the error message: We failed to create a Rescue Disk.
Has anyone else had this problem with this latest update?

Hi all, please welcome Avast 20.6

31/07/2020

Updated all three computers again, immediately tried to create rescue disks (USB) for the computers...

IT"S BAAAACCCCKKKK

**WE FAILED TO CREATE A RESCUE DISK**  on the two computers that I have rescue disks for when it gets to 29%!

How come this fault has reappeared? Are we going to have to wait another four months before you fix it again???  How come faults like this are occurring at all? Do you even test these new releases?

Note my annual paid subscription is due for renewal in two months, at this stage I'm not looking at renewing Avast, due to these problems over the last year, and the length of time it takes you to fix them.

All I've been reading on the net is that I only really need to run Windows Security on my computers, that I dont need a third party AV at all...
Modify message

UPDATE: Tried creating rescue disk (USB) again today on both computers, both completed successfully...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:48:16 AM by MaxLV »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
You would be better to create a new post re 20.6, as subject of this old post is RD failure in 19.8.
I also noticed your other post in AV area of forum which may get more attention.
Sad that Avast cannot seem to get RD ctration/boot to work consistently for all.

Offline Martin Kudlicka

• Avast team
Hello,
I am sorry rescue disk doesn't work for you again. I am not able to induce any error in our testing environment with version 20.6. Can you please provide us service log file, or can you create and send support package?
Also there was no change in this component since 20.5 so it's possible this error happens due to conflict with other software or AV component. If you don't mind, can you please try it again with shields turned off?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:49:22 PM by Martin Kudlicka »
Avast Support Tool - https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
Avast support - https://support.avast.com - submit a support ticket

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
If you don't mind, can you please try it again with shields turned off?
With shields turned off Rescue Disk (USB) runs to 86% stays there a couple of minutes then runs to completion.
Whether this USB will actually boot is another story.
(Annoyingly when I turned shield back on it knocked out my wifi. Got it back via windows troubleshooter)

Edit:
First time in a long time I actually have a Rescue Disk (USB) that actually boots and can be used.
Shame about having to turn the AV shields off to create it though!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:14:03 PM by rocksteady »

Offline Martin Kudlicka

• Avast team
Thank you rocksteady. I forwarded it to our QA to find out what part of AV causes this problem.
Avast Support Tool - https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
Avast support - https://support.avast.com - submit a support ticket

Offline MaxLV

Hello,
I am sorry rescue disk doesn't work for you again. I am not able to induce any error in our testing environment with version 20.6. Can you please provide us service log file, or can you create and send support package?
Also there was no change in this component since 20.5 so it's possible this error happens due to conflict with other software or AV component. If you don't mind, can you please try it again with shields turned off?
Thank you.

I have successfully created rescue disks (USB) on both computers today for V20.6

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
If you don't mind, can you please try it again with shields turned off?
With shields turned off Rescue Disk (USB) runs to 86% stays there a couple of minutes then runs to completion.
Whether this USB will actually boot is another story.
(Annoyingly when I turned shield back on it knocked out my wifi. Got it back via windows troubleshooter)

Edit:
First time in a long time I actually have a Rescue Disk (USB) that actually boots and can be used.
Shame about having to turn the AV shields off to create it though!

Hi rocksteady, I just tried to create Rescue Disk on Windows 10 64bit by Avast Premium 20.6.2420 b5495 with all shields enabled and it worked just fine. I assume there is either a problem with downloading the necessary files to create it or a problem with the flashdrive itself. Disconnecting your wifi when you turn the shields off is also interesting and unknown to us.

It would be great to get debug logs from the creation when it fails. If you want to help us to find the issue, please enable debug loggin in the settings - Troubleshooting, replicate the problem and send us the support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/33/). You can do the same for the wifi problem too and send too packages. Thank you!

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
One more thing rocksteady, do you have the AV in the default settings or did you change something - especially for any of the shields? This could have some relation to the problem. Thank you!

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Just a note that we tried to increase the security settings of the shields to maximum (e.g. strict mode, testing of all files, etc.) and creating the rescue disk was always successful.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
I am not using absolutely default settings nor do I intend to revert to them just to test I can create a Rescue Disk for this AV version.
As previously stated, I was able to create and boot a Rescue Disk (USB), but had to turn off shields to create it.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
I am not using absolutely default settings nor do I intend to revert to them just to test I can create a Rescue Disk for this AV version.
As previously stated, I was able to create and boot a Rescue Disk (USB), but had to turn off shields to create it.

Hi rocksteady, I am not asking you to revert the seetings  ;) What I need to know is what is not default so we can potentially replicate the problem as we are unable to do so in default as well as with some (guessed related) settings changed. If you want, you can export your settings so we can import it and try it. It is located in the settings, Troubleshooting section. Thank you.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
@petr. I have exported settings, but how will you receive them and import them? I sent you an PM email yesterday, but unable to add attachments via Forum.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
You can upload your settings here: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/
Pick a unique name (and post it here), so the devs can find it. Thanks
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
File "rocksteady free_av_2020-8-4 avastconfig.zip" has been uploaded to avast FTP a few mins ago.