Author Topic: Avast Update is forcing my Windows 10 PC to wake up around 12am then stays on  (Read 1492 times)

Offline cytherian

Lately I managed to notice something peculiar. At around midnight, my computer (HP laptop, Windows 10) wakes up from sleep and then stays on.  I realized this because I was up at that time and saw my laptop wake up for no good reason.  I couldn't see why it did it. Then another time, I came back late and found my laptop on at 2am. Virus? Malware? I checked my Events log... sure enough I see regularly that at 12:15am, an Avast update is waking it up. Here are the related entries:

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Browser\Update\1.4.141.333\AvastBrowserUpdateHelper.msi. Client Process Id: 22216.

Product: Avast Update Helper -- Configuration failed.

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Avast Update Helper. Product Version: 1.4.141.333. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: AVAST Software. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1638.

Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Browser\Update\1.4.141.333\AvastBrowserUpdateHelper.msi. Client Process Id: 22216.

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Browser\Update\1.4.141.333\AvastBrowserUpdateHelper.msi. Client Process Id: 22216.

Product: Avast Update Helper -- Error 1316. The specified account already exists.

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Avast Update Helper. Product Version: 1.4.141.333. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: AVAST Software. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

These entries repeat every minute about 4 times, then stops. But the PC is left running. What's odd is that the active power management plan is set to put the PC to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. Yet it does not. My suspicion is that because the Avast Browser is open and active, it's accessing the Internet and keeping the PC awake.

Sorry, but I don't use the Avast Browser much. I don't want it checking for updates nightly. Yet, I go into settings and I can't check for that configuration. I can do that for Avast Anti-Virus definitions. (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly). Nothing like that for the browser.  So, can someone tell me how I can change updates to manual on this Avast browser?  Thank you.

Offline Misha Zekovova

• Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Avast team
Hi cytherian,

we'll look into this issue, thank you for reporting!

Can I also ask you for Diagnostic Information please?

1. Open the browser and click on the menu icon (3 dots)
2. Click on "Help and About Avast Secure Browser" and then "About Avast Secure Browser"
3. Click on "Diagnostic Information" (this will open a pop-up window)
4. Click the "COPY TO CLIPBOARD" button to capture the information and paste it here.

Thank you!