Author Topic: Avast! Antivirus service won't start  (Read 13888 times)

colinangusmackay

Avast! Antivirus service won't start
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:58:08 PM »
I get the error message: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error

I've checked the documentation, and following the FAQ entry for "Q: There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray and when I click on it, the error message appears saying "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?"

I cannot get the Avast! Antivirus service to start. It says it is dependent on RPC (which is running) and Avast! Standard Shield Support, which doesn't appear to exist.

I'm using Windows XP, SP2 (all patched and up-to-date!) and Avast 4.7 Home edition. Build 4.7.871; Xtreme Toolkit Version 1.9.4.0;

I've tried to repair the install - no joy.

Does anyone have any pointer about what to do next?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Antivirus service won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »
This is usually associated with having another AV installed.
Have (or did) you have another AV installed in this system, if so what and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

patfrompagosa

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:01:46 PM »
Just a novice and unsophisticated user here.  On an older IBM Thinkpad 765L, using Windows 98SE with all updates, I experienced the same issues.

I followed all of the friendly advice here on the forum (rigorously clearing out McAfee, cleaning out the new Avast) but still had the same problem.

So, I uninstalled Avast again, and per advice elsewhere in this same forum,  but in different topic string, I installed Avast Version 4.7.844 from the www.filehippo.com site.   I configured to use ONLY manual updates, did my initial scan, and shut down.

I restarted and the problem with the resident and with the "A ball with red circle and backslash" were gone.  Unfortunately, this will in the long term, limit the operation of Avast.  Plus, I have yet to see how I fare on reloading Spybot.  Plus, I have yet to download the latest Avast virus definition file. 

Still, it is a "temporary fix" that others have tried successfully, and now so have I!!!!

Good luck

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:59:57 AM »
 :)  Hi all :

Sometimes an "RPC Error" may be "corrected" by running
      the "DCOMbobulator" available from www.grc.com/dcom
     ( To "disable" the "DCOM" ) .

colinangusmackay

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 01:48:19 AM »
This is usually associated with having another AV installed.
Have (or did) you have another AV installed in this system, if so what and how did you get rid of it ?

I used to have Norton AV 2005 installed. I uninstalled it and rebooted before installing Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:03:31 AM »
NAV is notorious for remnants that when detected avast wil diaable elements to avoid conflict that could lock-up your system.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

-- If you can't run the Web Utility. Using the Norton Removal Tool: Manual file download
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006031710323113?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid
Full SymNRT info:
1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alobar

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »
:)  Hi all :

Sometimes an "RPC Error" may be "corrected" by running
      the "DCOMbobulator" available from www.grc.com/dcom
     ( To "disable" the "DCOM" ) .

I just joined this thread.    Avast was working fine on my machine.   Now I get the RPC error and I am unable to start the service.    I D/Led and used the DCOMbobulator utility, re-booted, and I get the same error message from AVAST and the servive cannot be started manually.

Alobar

tjdavid21444

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:42:32 PM »
I, like Alobar, just joined this thread.  I am having the same exact problem as described in the original message of this thread.  I have used only Avast on this system.  This just appeared out of the blue, and is seriously undermining my confidence in Avast, and with the ability of the tech staff to troubleshoot this problem. Blaming it on other AVs, other security tools, etc., or continually recommending uninstalls and reinstalls isn't solving the problem, so how about let's start this over from scratch.  It is exhibiting this behavior, as described exactly above, and all of the previous "recommendations" have failed to solve the issue.  What next?!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 10:54:25 PM »
@ Alobar
If of you can answer the question I asked in the first reply about other AVs.

@ tjdavid21444
We aren't blaming other AVs or other security programs per say, but all you have to do is use the forums search to find that this is frequently the cause and we have to start fault finding somewhere. And as you can see from the originator of this thread they used one of the AVs most featured in this type of problem.

The vast majority of people who help here are avast users just like you, who give their time to try and help other avast users.

As to what next, I don't feel I can offer any help since you don't have any confidence in avast or the ability its tech staff, so I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Alobar

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 08:14:41 AM »
I solved the problem.   I had to uninstall Avast.    At first I tried to repair it from the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, but that did not work.   So I un-installed, re-booted, then installed a fresh copy.   Now everything works fine with no error messages.   I still have NO idea why Avast stopped working properly.

Alobar

tjdavid21444

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 06:56:41 PM »
Well, it is certainly great to hear that yet ANOTHER uninstall and reinstall SOLVED this problem.  I guess it would be too much to ask that when you install a program that you not have to re-install it periodically to fix mysterious problems that continue to occur with it.  I will get right on it and uninstall AGAIN.  The only difference?  I won't be reinstalling it this time. >:(

Alobar

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 11:38:31 PM »
Well, it is certainly great to hear that yet ANOTHER uninstall and reinstall SOLVED this problem.  I guess it would be too much to ask that when you install a program that you not have to re-install it periodically to fix mysterious problems that continue to occur with it.  I will get right on it and uninstall AGAIN.  The only difference?  I won't be reinstalling it this time. >:(

Your remarks puzzle me.   Avast is free for home users.   I have programs I had to pay for which have serious glitches and the softrweare companies woln't tell me how to fix the problems.   With Avast, it may take a while to solve the problem, but it is solvable.

I am quite happy with Avast, and this forum.

Alobar

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »
I guess it would be too much to ask that when you install a program that you not have to re-install it periodically to fix mysterious problems that continue to occur with it.
If you try to give us more info, have some patience... well, we can try to debug the problem.
Otherwise, there is not a perfect software at all  8)
The best things in life are free.

Alobar

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »
If you try to give us more info, have some patience... well, we can try to debug the problem.

What sort of info do you need?   As this problem has happened twice with me, I am assuming it may happen a third time?

Alobar

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 11:17:22 PM »
What sort of info do you need?   As this problem has happened twice with me, I am assuming it may happen a third time?
Well...
You had sorted your problem:

I solved the problem.   I had to uninstall Avast.    At first I tried to repair it from the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, but that did not work.   So I un-installed, re-booted, then installed a fresh copy.   Now everything works fine with no error messages.   I still have NO idea why Avast stopped working properly. Alobar

So I've asked tjdavid21444 about his computer:
1. Other antivirus installed (even in the past)
2. Other security programs (antispywares, etc.)
3. Firewall
4. Operational System version (or if it is updated)
5. avast version
6. If the user try to repair avast installation

tjdavid21444 seems to be nervous, I've just posted trying to help. But to help, I need more info about the problem and his computer  ;)
The best things in life are free.