Author Topic: No access to immediate previous version download  (Read 1478 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
No access to immediate previous version download
« on: September 27, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
When a new Avast version update is duff, for example 19.8.2393, there is no access to the immediate previous version offline installer download to fall back on.

That a product update should disable the Windows 10 Core Isolation feature suggests that product testing leaves something to be desired and thus the offline installer for the previous version should be automatically available, just in case of 'surprises'.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: No access to immediate previous version download
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
I agree but how often does any program actually provide such an option?

Best you can do is put in regular restore points yourself and hope that in those circumstances you will be able to revert by using them. But with a program like AVAST which gets into all sorts of nooks and crannies on your PC the chances of even this properly restoring the old version are slim.

You'll all too often be told by Windows that certain files could not be restored and guess what that is most likely to be.

However if AVAST, as part of its program update process, actually put in a restore point that did work wouldn't that be an acceptable compromise? Windows updates have always done that so why not AVAST?   

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Re: No access to immediate previous version download
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54:19 PM »
I always download and archive the latest offline Avast installer. Bitter experience with previous occasional update fiascos is what has encouraged me to this policy. I have today received a message from another Avast forum habitué but alas I cannot provide a copy of my 19.7.2388 offline installer for fear of compromising myself with copyright issues.

I am now resolved in future to do a trial install of each new Avast update before jumping into the deeper water with both feet.

If Avast free wasn't so darned good, I wouldn't be bothered writing this because I would be using another antimalware product.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware