Author Topic: who is the best antivirus software?  (Read 4688 times)

mengfl

who is the best antivirus software?
« on: August 18, 2006, 07:06:19 AM »
where can find antivirus software  in order by using it ?

why microsft company could not give us such order of antivirus software ?

where to find it ?

And avast is in which position of all antivirus software ?

who can tell me ?

thanks!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: who is the best antivirus software?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:31:05 AM »

Why would you ever expect Microsoft to rank or grade them?

Microsoft wants them all to remain partners with Microsoft.

Why would you ever expect an honest answer from the website of avast users?

In that you may just be surprised ... the folks here are more open and friendly than many another forum and you may get a decent answer to your question.

mengfl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:44:05 AM »
thanks a lot!

could you tell me where can get a decent order of virus software ?

as you know , which virus software is better than avast ?

thanks !

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:19:45 AM »
Hi megfl,

Well the answer to your question is not that easy, and depends on a variety of factors. The days that a simple anti-virus solution together with a software firewall could keep your computer free of malware are long gone. Now you need another attitude of computing and a layered defense to stay free of malware, you can read all about that here in this our forum, welcome to a treasure of knowledge.
You need anti-spyware programs like ad-aware, spybot s&d, spyware blaster, in-browser security, script blocking etc, free spyaudit scan now and again.
Just on the topic of anti-virus solutions there is a free solution, and that has kept my computer free of malware over the last couple of years: avast together with non-resident ClamWin (open source), in-browser DrWeb hyperlink pre-scanning plug-in, NoScript in the FF or Flock browser, MacAfeeSiteAdvisor, and additional online scanning with Bitdefender. Free DrWebCureIt from a mem stick. And for heuristical scanning the old free F-prot for Dos with automatic updater, and stinger.exe.
If you do want to pay money for it per-se, and you are not an advanced user, you could think about KAV (best virus update regime, DrWeb is second, but has more FP's), Nod32 is also advised by anti-malware forums.
One word of caution, rather  not use the big three like Symantec, MacAfee or TrendMicro, because malware artists test their new creation against detection of these scanners, so for a zero day virus you are less protected there, with is
too big of a what we call "vulnerability window", the time between the risk of actual infection and protection is too big. Well that is what I know about this, there are others that hold other opinions, but this is my experience,

Well it is a fact that a lot of people will choose MS one-care solution, when it comes integrated with the OS, the same like it was when IE came in or with MS Media Player, "sheople" always eat what is placed in front of them, and what "the others" do. That also has been a big part of Microsoft's success over the previous years.

Enjoy your visits here, and stay malware free iin the future,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:27:36 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mengfl

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »

thanks a lot!
you say
 Kaspersky Anti-Virus ?

hope avast best

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »
Here  8)

Do you want an user answer or an advertisement speach?
Trust avast  8)
The best things in life are free.

carioca

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »

where to find it ?

who can tell me ?

thanks!

Hi Buddy,
This is a very difficulty answer because every cos. and many users like such AV scanner for the reason they are involved with it and they are fan for it. I think in my humble opinion every scanner has its quality but the most important it's how you act. I could say the best antivirus is yourself and you have to get a good quality av scanner and a good antispyware. I could point them out for you - The AV scanner it's Avast and the antispyware I like best the SpywareTerminator. Both are freewares and good quality. But if you wanna pay I would recommend the Bitdefender Standard or Pro as fullfare AV scanner and SuperAntispyware Pro, Webroot Spysweeper or CounterSpy for fullfare antispyware. Good Luck!Best Regards. ;D

JerryM

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 07:39:58 PM »
Not exactly sure what you mean by "And avast is in which position of all antivirus software ?"

I suppose AVs could be positioned in various ways, including how well one runs with other applications. If you mean detection rates, then AV Comparatives is the best single source I know of. You might visit that site and see the comparatives.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

There are reasons that folks choose a particular AV other than detection rates, so take that in consideration. It is always best to trial each one that you are considering to determine if it runs well on your system.

Best,
Jerry

carioca

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:59 PM »
Not exactly sure what you mean by "And avast is in which position of all antivirus software ?"

I suppose AVs could be positioned in various ways, including how well one runs with other applications. If you mean detection rates, then AV Comparatives is the best single source I know of. You might visit that site and see the comparatives.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

There are reasons that folks choose a particular AV other than detection rates, so take that in consideration. It is always best to trial each one that you are considering to determine if it runs well on your system.

Best,
Jerry

???

Hi Jerry,
I could hardly say that I relied on the AV testers in the past but there are business and comercial around it. But you're right when you say it depends upon someone's windows resource and detection rates. But Most of the cos. are updating it very frequently, almost every hour. it's a good idea to check  the whole testers to have an idea but don't believe only this source (av-comparatives). I would recommend to drop the security forums in. Best!

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »
Hi carioca,

One needs to consider all the information available. The forums provide a lot of information, and especially the problems and conflicts that are prevalent with certain combinations.

While I would not rely only on AV Comparatives, I do consider it is as neutral and objective as one could hope for since it is not paid for by any advertisers, etc. That is my problem with such tests published by the magazines.

I also would not rely only on the "official" forums either, as those who normally frequent them prefer that particular AV, and are opiniated as to what they recommend. That is OK, but makes it not the best place to find out "What is the best application?" We already know what they consider the best.

Along with the forums and folks that one talks to, good tests are important. Very few of us have any way to determine the detection rates of the various AVs. Detection, blocking, and removing malware is the only reason that I have security programs. Accordingly, I must rely on test organizations to make a determination as to the effectiveness of a particular AV. Obviously, even the different organizations do not agree. If we compare AV Comparatives with Virus Group, we see different rankings of AVs except the top ones agree.

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=72&mnu=72

If one does not run well on my system it is useless, but if it has a poor detection rate it is not acceptable to me. Layering is important for all, but especially in the case of and AV that is not strong in detection of trojans, for instance. Then the addition of a good AT, such as Ewido or a-squared is most important.

My own view is that if I am going to buy one, why not use the one with the best detection rates as long as it runs well on my system?

Best,
Jerry