Author Topic: There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray  (Read 3965 times)

utbutterfly28

There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray
« on: August 20, 2006, 06:29:33 AM »
Ok, this is going to be fun to explain.  Here is the problem.  Previously I had AntiVir Personal Edition 6.34.01.178 and Avast 4.7 on my computer.  I had the AntiVir On-shield scanner activated.  I also have ZoneAlarm Firewall on my computer. 

Today, I updated my ZoneAlarm.  I went to do a scan with my Avast and it told me that there was a file within the AntiVir that was a worm.  I decided to uninstall AntiVir.  I got it all off my computer.  But then my Avast wouldn't work.  So I uninstalled Avast, then reinstalled it.  I can get the virus scanner to run, but the On-Access has the red thing on it.  I tried to do what it tells you to do in the F&Q section, but none of that did anything.  I have all the latest Windows updates.

Windows XP is my OS
Avast 4.7 Home
Build Aug2006(4.7.871)
Xtreme Toolkit 1.9.4.0

Is this problem with the new Zone Alarm update or is it Avast, or is it my computer????   Please help me.

Thanks,
Computer Stupid!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 03:10:10 PM »
The red circle is usually associated with the presence of another AV and I know that avast and AntiVir don't get on, if avast finds any evidence that it is on your system then it could have disabled elements of avast to avoid any possible conflict which could lock-up your system.

There could be remnants in the registry, Legacy keys for Virtual Device Drivers, etc. and this may be what avast has found.

Having tried what is covered in the FAQ then it is more likely what I mentioned above. So you need to check the registry for any remnants of antivir and delete those keys (back-up the registry before editing or using a registry cleaner).

A google search for manual uninstall antivir returns this http://forum.antivir.de/thread.php?postid=93283&sid=e175472b14635beb43f6c97b16e2de96
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:30:11 PM »
There could be remnants in the registry, Legacy keys for Virtual Device Drivers, etc. and this may be what avast has found.
Search also your Windows Registry - IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MANAGE THE REGISTRY WITH CARE - for H+BEDV or Avira.
The best things in life are free.

utbutterfly28

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »
I did all of these things and when I do the registry cleaner it shows things to delete.  When I try to delete them they don't delete completely.  When I go in the the registry to manually delete them, they aren't in the list.  What do I do now?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »
I did all of these things and when I do the registry cleaner it shows things to delete.  When I try to delete them they don't delete completely.  When I go in the the registry to manually delete them, they aren't in the list.  What do I do now?
Could be tedious, but I need to know the fully name (and path) of the Registry keys to take a decision...
Besides this, which registry cleaner are you using and where (in which application) are you trying to delete the keys...?
The best things in life are free.

utbutterfly28

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:36:12 PM »
I am using the registry cleaner that I got off of Antivir forum called Avira RegClean.

This is what it says when I run the cleaner

!! SOFTWARE\H+BEDV - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AV* - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AntiVir/XP - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AntiVirMailService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AntiVirService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AVEService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\avgntdw - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AVWUpSrv - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\AVWUpSrv - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\H+BEDV Antivir - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\avgntdw - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SOFTWARE\H+BEDV - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AntiVirMailService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AntiVirService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AntiVirScheduler - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AVEService - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\avgntdd - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\avgntmgr - Failed to delete the (sub) key!
!! SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\H+BEDV Antivir - Failed to delete the (sub) key!

At the top of the cleaner there is a trash can.  I try clicking on that and all the words delete, but if I run it again it all shows up again.  Then if I try to go into Start - Run - Regedit and do it manually none of those things on the list are there.  I hope that makes sense if not I will try to explain better.