Author Topic: Scan Archive Files  (Read 2106 times)

bluefire18

Scan Archive Files
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:05 AM »
how do I get my avast to alow me to Scane Archive Files. it always says it's disabled and i have looked in the settings area but cant fine how. please help me ,someone.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Scan Archive Files
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »
Hello and Welcome to the forums :)

I believe that you will find your answer HERE ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:03:32 PM by XMAS »
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan Archive Files
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
There is a tick box to select scan archives, when you select Local Drives an object that pops out has a slider to change the sensitivity of the scan and on that same object there is a tick box for archives.

See image, I assume you are using this skin, but it is basically the same in each.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security