Author Topic: Help !!! Problem....with Internet browser  (Read 51589 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help !!! Problem....with Internet browser
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »
I assume a program update may have been the cause.

Turning off the WebShield eliminated the problem.
This sounds more like a firewall (which is it ?) blocking ashWebSv.exe after a program update this process will have changed, your firewall should have asked permission and you probably denied it.

Exploring further, I changed the port number for HTTP redirects to blank under Web Shield, Customize, Basic Settings.

This is a setting for transparent web scanning.

IE and FireFox Browsers now work correctly with Web Shield enabled.
1. That effectively disables the web shield provider as it isn't redirecting anything, the default is 80 and is correct for both transparent or manual set-up to use the web shield.

2. They work only because you have stopped web shield redirecting http traffic. If you check the web shield provider details you will see that content isn't being scanned.

Solution, replace the deleted port 80 and ensure your firewall alows ashWebSv.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wkoschen

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »
I think you missed this line.

but only when I was running Apache Server.

The problem has nothing to do with the firewall as all works well as long as Apache Server is "OFF".

Apache is set to listen to 8080 requests from 127.0.0.1(localhost). I don't understand why it would cause a problem with Avast now, as it never did before.

I set Web Shield to 81 and there are no browser problems now with Apache running. Interesting.

Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2007, 12:49:20 AM »
I did see it, but I wasn't sure if this was simply you connecting to a server, rather than trying to run avast on a server.

I don't know how avast would react when you are running a server since avast home/pro isn't a server AV solution.

So sorry if I got that wrong, you will have to hope someone with some server experience picks this up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Diligent Inquirer

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »
Jenstar:

Thanks for the nudge there! I was looking at that "provider" but it did not say "web shield", soooo, rather than mess up I just stopped the avast running progs, beeeing--they sometimes cause my win98 to connect very slow.

I may have unknowingly mislead you by my lack of proper terminology. I could not run the avast running program feature(s), being they were not running after I eliminated them by doing the msconfig routine.

I am about to recheck them and then try to eliminate the web shield. What does this web shield "shied" anyway?  From reading the forums it is not a firewall--so what is it?

Thanks, Diligent

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »
A good place to start would be the avast help file Resident Protection, Web Shield Provider.

Quote from: extract avast help file
Web Shield provider protects your computer from viruses that may infect your computer when browsing the Internet - especially when downloading files from web pages.

If you - possibly by mistake - download an infected file and try to start it, avast! will prevent the infection thanks to its Standard Shield provider (which scans all files that you start of open). With Web Shield, however, the virus will be detected even sooner - during the download of the file. So, Web Shield makes your computer even safer than before.

This provider also makes it possible to block specific URL addresses.

So it monitors your web browsing for possible infection blocking it before it has a chance to get on your system. With win98, this isn't transparent and you have to have set-up your browser/s to use the web shield proxy. If you didn't do that then it couldn't slow your browsing, however, I see no noticeable slowdown and I use a dial-up connection.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Diligent Inquirer

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »
DavidR

Thats helpful Dave. Appreciate it. I will study that. Like you say, there should be no slow down.

The slow down, that is mostly the connection, is only manageable (so far as I know) by eliminating running programs, besides the normal Win98 and general malware-virus clean up procedures.

Once that is done, the connection time is reasonable. The temporary internet file collects cookies and giff's etc. for quick access, so the download image and picture time is reduced a bunch. Otherwise, both the connection and these picture-image download take until doomsday to connect and download.

Is that normal with a win98?? I know dial up is slower than DSL and other cable methods, and can see what the normal speed is, I think, but having to go through all these clean-up progs and etc. just to gain a reasonable connection and download speed just does not seem right somehow. I should be able to keep the avast progs running for protection and still connect and downlaod within a reasonable time.

Is there an avast tutorial or help file on this subject similar to the web shield one that you provided that I can read?

Again, thanks for the web shield info. I will study that.

Diligent.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
I can't say what is normal for win98, I haven't used it in years but the connection speed shouldn't be dependant on your OS. My dial-up connection speed has pretty much remained stable with different OSes. What effects connection speed is the condition of the telephone line (old copper cable, noise on the line degrades connection speed) and the physical length of cable to the telephone exchange.

I usually connect at 49.2 Kbps or 50.6 Kbps since a dial-up modem theoretical maximum is 56.0 Kbps (and some times considerably less) you can see the degradation. I live 9 KM from the telephone exchange. Here in the UK there are some who live in areas where there is a limited number of lines available your line could be split (called DAX-ed here) so it is shared with another number, this is a massive drop to a max of about 33.6 Kbps and with degradation much less.

Connection speed also doesn't directly equate to download speed I have seen times when I get a good connection speed and zilch poor download speed and vice versa at times.

The tutorials have been created to cover commonly asked questions or problem areas and they don't extend to an avast tutorial. The avast help file really is the only guide documentation.

Luz

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:59 PM »
hello,

I've the same problem since the last update.
I've read all the thread and make each modification but nothing new, i can't surf the web with the web shield activate.

i I've another strange thing, my ashserv is really heavy in CPU time, that make my PC really slow when it doesn't reboot. any move make something like 20seconds for execute.

that make 2 weeks my avast is strange, resource eater, web blocker...
I'm using avast for 2 years without problems but now, look like it's the end...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »
Sorry but I don't think this is the same problem if you have tried the things in this topic and that hasn't worked.

Rather than say you have tried everything, please tell exactly what you have tried ?
Also let us know a little about your system, Operating system, browser, firewall, other security programs, etc.

Luz

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 08:11:37 PM »
OK,
system : xp home sp2
no firewall
one router (nothing change before and after the problem)
browser : IE7 and FireFox 2.x
other security soft : windows defender

other scan : scanned yesterday with avg up to date
scan with windows defender in progress

already tried : the .ini story, clearing logs, proxy configuring

------------------------EDIT--------------------------
I've just finish the re-installation of avast, same problem, the windows defender is finish, nothing new.
-----------------------EDIT 2-------------------------
http://luzftp.free.fr/gest/vracimg/problemeavast.jpg
here, a screenshot of the process, the white back, it's firefox who haven't enough resource for displaying this page and the frame, it's a menu who take 30second to draw.
has you can see, ashserv is really CPU time eater but it's another problem...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:13:59 PM by Luz »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »
Do you also have AVG antivirus installed on this system ?
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

The high CPU could be multiple scanning and possible conflict with another AV.

Luz

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »
i know that !
they weren't installed at the same time.
and when i took the screenshot, there is not any files left from avg.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:07:13 PM by Luz »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 11:29:01 PM »
If the CPU remains high for a long period, is the avast icon rotating ?
If not there is obviously something causing it to hang. In the past one of the options that seemed effective was a reinstall, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Luz

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »
the avast's icon doesn't rotate.
i have already uninstall, reboot, install a fresh version up to date, reboot and hang after some thing like 3 minutes after the complete start of the PC.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 01:11:12 AM »
I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, has anything else on your system changed recently, windows defender updates, etc. ?
Try disabling windows defender and see if that has any impact.

You say the problem occurred after the last update, "I've the same problem since the last update." There hasn't been a program update for some time, 4.7.942 was released on January 15, 2007 so is it about one month ago this started to happen ?
The reason I say this is that the VPS updates shouldn't have any effect on the program as no program files are changed.

What is the sensitivity setting on Standard Shield, Normal (default), High or Custom ?