Author Topic: DVD drive being automatically read/scanned by avast issue  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Z Yu

DVD drive being automatically read/scanned by avast issue
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Hello, everyone, I found that my DVD-ROM drive is being read and scanned by avast automatically many times per day. It is extremely annoying to hear this sound/noise.

Furthermore, I know it must be avast because I reset my Windows 10 PC to factory setting several times to track which program(s) is/are doing this and discovered that avast is the one since my DVD drive was never automatically read when avast was not installed, and I tried to go through all the Avast settings to check if there were a feature that automatically scans DVD drives but could not find any. So, does anyone know which setting it is? Thanks!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: DVD drive being automatically read/scanned by avast issue
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »
I'm not aware of any automatic scans of removable drives - other than at the moment a new disk is inserted.
Would you be able to create a Process Monitor log - covering a moment when this happened - and upload it to us (e.g. to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, or any other upload service of your choice). It may tell us more about why (or by whom) the drive is accessed.

Note there may be some sensitive data inside the log, such as filenames you work with, programs you use etc. - if the log covers a longer period of time.

Offline Z Yu

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
I will try to do the monitoring that you suggested, while I am sure the problem went away after uninstalling Avast. >_<

Offline Z Yu

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:45:05 AM »
I'm not aware of any automatic scans of removable drives - other than at the moment a new disk is inserted.
Would you be able to create a Process Monitor log - covering a moment when this happened - and upload it to us (e.g. to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, or any other upload service of your choice). It may tell us more about why (or by whom) the drive is accessed.

Note there may be some sensitive data inside the log, such as filenames you work with, programs you use etc. - if the log covers a longer period of time.

I have been using the suggested Process Monitor but it could not log which process(es) was/were attempting to access my DVD drive. In fact, as soon as I heard my drive being read, I immediately checked Process Monitor but could not find any records. But what I am confident is that the problem went away after uninstalling Avast, and it came back after reinstallation. Definitely thumbs down, Avast!

Offline Z Yu

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 02:40:00 AM »
I will try to do the monitoring that you suggested, while I am sure the problem went away after uninstalling Avast. >_<

Please see attached. Thank you!