Author Topic: Avast Firewall Private<->Public Issue  (Read 6387 times)

Offline smc425

Avast Firewall Private<->Public Issue
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:51:25 AM »
   I'm running the latest version of Avast Premium Security on a Windows 7 laptop with a broadband Ethernet connection. I am also one of the many that cannot select a private network profile within the Avast firewall component UI. This has been going on since February-March of this year, after Avast changed the program and left this issue ignored. Even though I'm on a home network my pc is now always detected and set as Public by the Avast software. Moving the arrow option from Public to Private no longer works, as the sliders flips back to Public instantaneously. And trying to change the network profiles in the other firewall menu pull down option doesn't register. The Geek Area interface doesn't offer a solution either.
   As of this week, my issue has been in the hands of 2 senior technicians as well as escalations to the development team. Earlier this year, my first escalation was ultimately ignored......back and forth emails every 24-72 hours were clearly unproductive and outright frustrating. Even today I cannot get a phone call or remote support session to get to the bottom of this common glitch. I have sent in a bunch of support file IDs and still no answer. A few months ago, I called in complaining about this network profile issue and one rep actually admitted that it was a UI glitch in the software and that a short wait period was needed to send out a patched release. At least I was given honesty at that time and not a procrastinating, pass the buck maneuver. But hey, it's now many months later and no fix. The release notes of the latest version state than an improvement was made in the firewall setting options.....however, I'm still not seeing it.
   Before Bob and the other cookie cutter replies come in, here is a quick rundown of what's been tried: Numerous full Clean uninstalls and reinstalls, deleted network profiles, turned off Windows Firewall and Defender, updated router firmware to ensure no holes/issues in Avast network scans, and yes thousands of reboots. Please note that I also tried many times to change my network category in the Windows registry, but the Avast software reverts the value back to zero. And in the Network and Sharing Center, you're also unable to change the network from Public....Home and Work are blocked by UAC icons and don't change even if you click them.
   Any valuable feedback is appreciated. Is it unfixable on my end, and will Avast finally address and patch this?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast Firewall Private<->Public Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
Windows registry reversion likely due to avast self-protection active.

See attached below:

Be sure to back up your registry before you make any changes!
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
If you spoke to someone on the phone, that would have been 3rd party support.

I highly doubt that telling you it was a known glitch came from Avast.
The firewall Windows 7 offers really isn't bad and might be an alternative till the problem is solved.
To solve it, this would be the next step,
Submitting a support file using the Avast Support Tool: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB33
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline smc425

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 01:48:18 AM »
  The culprit is indeed the Avast Firewall service. I now have it turned off and soon will be uninstalling the firewall component until Avast wakes up and fixes the issue. My pc is now back on the intended Home Network profile and I'll have to settle for using the Windows Firewall for the time being.
  In addition, I finally received a reply from my recent escalation to Avast......."the development team looked into your logs and determined that this is a Windows issue caused by a Window service blocking profile switching." Hysterical isn't it? Of course something is blocking the network profile switching........it's Avast Firewall! Take the responsibility and own up to it.....and fix it already!
  And Bob, I assure you that I spoke to AVAST support a few months back. The woman representative admitted that there was an infamous glitch and time was needed to get out a new release. Since that call there may have been 2-3 release updates with no success on taming this firewall bug.

Offline smc425

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01:48 AM »
  I am still unable to choose a Private network profile in my Avast Premium firewall settings. I tried turning off the self protection option but that didn’t help. The arrow switch continues to flip back over to Public instantaneously. My only workaround right now is still to stop the Avast Firewall service in the management console and let Windows Firewall run as the alternative. This is the only way I can have a Home Network profile for the time being.
  I see here on this forum that many users are able to use the firewall toggle switch and select Private profile without issues. However, there also are many others who cannot and continue to see their home networks reverted back to Public time and time again. I have sent a bunch of logs and tried to hound Avast to help me resolve this for many months now. How many user complaints does it take for Avast to finally take responsibility and patch this issue in the next release? The September release did not address it, can we expect a fix before year’s end?

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
Hi smc425,

please accept my apology for late reply.

The issue with profile switching in firewall is really caused by Windows system which prevents avast from changing it. We were able to identify possible reason and our development team is working on fix. I will let you know once avast containing this fix is released so you can install it.

Best regards,
HK

Offline smc425

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 01:32:45 AM »
HK,
Why is it that I’m able to return to a Private/Home network the moment I turn off the Avast Firewall Service? It’s hard to believe that this is a Windows process blocking the network profile option. I’m telling you that something was changed in an Avast software update earlier this year like back in February/March. And even in the Avast UI there still is no “Apply”, “Ok”, “Save”, or “Accept Changes” button in the other firewall setting screens when trying to change the network type. Since then, the Private<->Public toggle switch has been useless. I know there are many other users like myself who were/are affected. Now I have to use Windows Firewall until the developers implement a fix. We are going on 8 months now. I’ll be shocked if I hear back from you or the 2 other senior techs I dealt with recently.

Offline kimmo.lindholm

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Hi smc425,

please accept my apology for late reply.

The issue with profile switching in firewall is really caused by Windows system which prevents avast from changing it. We were able to identify possible reason and our development team is working on fix. I will let you know once avast containing this fix is released so you can install it.

Best regards,
HK

Any update on this?

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

new avast beta was released on the February 7th:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=232096.0

issue with FW profiles should be gone in this version.

Best regards,
HK

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 08:14:35 AM »
...issue with FW profiles should be gone in this version.
Confirmed. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0