Author Topic: Changing avast FA's installation destination  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Wordenheim

Changing avast FA's installation destination
« on: October 11, 2019, 06:03:27 PM »
It defaults to C:\Program Files, but I want to install it to another hard drive. I see no option to do so. Am I missing something?

EDIT: To clarify, the "change" button denoting changing the destination folder is blanked out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:14:08 PM by Wordenheim »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Changing avast FA's installation destination
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
What is 'avast FA' ?
Where are you seeing this 'Change' button ?
If it is via the Control Panel > Programs > Avast Antivirus > Uninstall/Change, I don't think it will allow you to do that as it is running and protected. 

It is most likely that you will have to uninstall it reboot and reinstall and do a Custom install, that should allow you to change the default location.

That said Avast still has to have elements within the C drive so you would still see some things in the Program Files folder (I think this is another reason you simply can't change the location like this), but the bulk would be in the custom installation folder you choose.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security