Author Topic: Avast premium security concerns with Mac OS Catalina  (Read 16954 times)

Offline willox2010

Avast premium security concerns with Mac OS Catalina
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:05:20 AM »
just throwing out there that if you update to mac os Catalina and avast premium security, then the app tends to "automatically" block processes from running if it thinks that its a ransomware.

following updating to catalina, my photos library was updating, during this update, a pop came up  from avast and blocked a process after 30sec as it believed it to be a randomsware. once finished, these errors popped up, resulting in the photo library becoming unaccessible.

"Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library”. (4302)"

" PHPhotosErrorInvalidState ?

these are the error i got as a result of avast blocking a process from running. it killed my photos library and had to extract the photos manually and slowly  move them over to a new photos library.

avast did not keep a log or record of the processes it blocks, so there was no way to undo the damage that had already taken place.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:12:02 AM by willox2010 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast premium security concerns with Mac OS Catalina
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »
I’ve seen other reports of the conversion failing, are you sure Avast was the source of the error?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline willox2010

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
yes i am sure, it should be easy to recreate the scenario, as apple photos was updating its library following the catalina update with avast premium security installed, avast popped up with its security warning and after 30sec it automatically blocked some process from running which was associated with apple photos, thus killing the library, making the library inaccessible.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
Hello,

we apologise for the issue, and will fix it as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline atwitsend

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 02:58:55 AM »
Hello,

we apologise for the issue, and will fix it as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Please fix it ASAP! Selling software that blocks essential files on peoples' PCs is unacceptable. I will think twice before buying and installing avast products again. What a hassle!

P.S.Those verification letters are unreadable. What's wrong with you people? Are you on a mission to make your customers' lives miserable??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
P.S.Those verification letters are unreadable. What's wrong with you people? Are you on a mission to make your customers' lives miserable??
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Hello,

the fix should be live; update Avast Antivirus if you want to be sure you already have it.

We apologise for the issue, due to unforeseen circumstances this has taken more than the usual half an hour to do.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:41 PM »
Thank you for your hard work Ondrej!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline ole30

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Again, again, again roblems with Avast when there has been an update of MacOS. Shortly ago it was the kill switch that killed ALL browsing (still not fixed), now its the antivirus that has broken down - so I´m running unprotected,despite having a payed VPN/antvirus still running for 357 and some 180 days.
No where to get a chat going - only mail - and so far, after 3 hours still no contact =:o((((
Whart dio you guyes do? Go to another company - wich one is able to deliver a working VPN/Antivirus?

Offline ole30

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:31:26 PM »
and when trying to request for a refund - just isn´t possible - Please fill out form is a page you can start filling out, but cant finish or send from....and now from here, at the forum - trying to get the letters from the sequrity bit read out aloud - there is NO sound - way to go AVAST - nice job!!

Offline Katrina18

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 03:56:06 AM »
Can someone please tell me how I can browse the internet now that I updated to Catalina and I can not get a VPN connection? What do I do....Just uninstall Avast? So frustrated.

Offline Producent

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 12:39:57 PM »
Just bougth a couple of days ago Avast Premium security for 8 MAC's. The shields are not working and we get the same message as many others. There is a problem on our site and we will fix this. I am searching for days to find a solution for paid software.  >:(
Now they want me to send reports from the programs. Hello!!!! I paid for a program and I don't think your paid customers have to search all kinds of forums to get software up and running. Either you release good working software or you don't do it.

Fortunately there are other brands that can do it and I can still get my money back!

Offline nilazes

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
Hello!
Updated to macOS Catalina. Same issue with the Kill Switch feature. Are there any ways to fix this? I already wrote in support, but I have not received an answer yet ...  ???

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »
Hello,

regarding the "web stops working on Catalina" issue, unfortunately there is no solution for this yet. We know about 4 users for which this has happened, but we have not been able to reproduce this issue. We have no real clue what could be the cause; it has to be some kind of iteraction with something or it needs a specific configuration to manifest.

Please if this is happening to you, send us support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file) mentioning the issue. Additionally, please if you are able to reproduce it and are willing to schedule a remote connection session with us, please contact me at ondrej.kolacek <at> avast.com .

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:14:13 PM by ondrej.kolacek »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Hello,
please if you can reproduce this issue, try to Allow incoming connections in System Preferences -> Security & privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall options; if it helps (or does not help), please NOTIFY US here. We were told by an user that this has fixed the issue for him.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:47:38 AM by ondrej.kolacek »