Author Topic: Core Shields off in Avast 14.2  (Read 5286 times)

Offline jimceez2

Core Shields off in Avast 14.2
« on: October 14, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the Core Shields being off with a message that there is a problem on the Avast side.

I cannot turn the Core Shields on

I'm running MacOS 10.13.6.

Offline guillaumelou

Re: Core Shields off in Avast 14.2
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:47:15 PM »
Maybe it's a problem in security & privacy, something like in Mojave.

Let's have a look just in case. https://support.avast.com/en-in/article/Mac-full-disk-access

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
Maybe it's a problem in security & privacy, something like in Mojave.

Let's have a look just in case. https://support.avast.com/en-in/article/Mac-full-disk-access

That should only bit on 10.14 and higher, not sure 10.13 would have those settings.

jimceez2, can you try to uninstall and do a fresh install with the latest installer?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline jimceez2

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
Uninstalling and reinstalling seemed to do the trick.  I missed the Uninstall in the menu.  I was trying to uninstall it using Appcleaner and Avast keep blocking it.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline mlpreiss2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 05:34:53 AM »
I cannot turn on core shields in my version of Avast, either. Each shield has a message underneath it stating, "We're sorry. There is some problem on our side. We'll fix it as soon as possible." In the meantime, the file, web, and email shields are not working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it but it makes no difference; the shields never activate. Or do they not activate on the free version? If they're supposd to activate, does anyone have any ideas? Running Avast Free 14.2 for Mac running High Sierra 13.16.6. Thanks!

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
I cannot turn on core shields in my version of Avast, either. Each shield has a message underneath it stating, "We're sorry. There is some problem on our side. We'll fix it as soon as possible." In the meantime, the file, web, and email shields are not working. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it but it makes no difference; the shields never activate. Or do they not activate on the free version? If they're supposd to activate, does anyone have any ideas? Running Avast Free 14.2 for Mac running High Sierra 13.16.6. Thanks!
Hello,

could you please pack all files from "/Library/Logs/Avast" directory and send them to ondrej.kolacek <at> avast.com (http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/10/how-to-zip-files-in-mac-os-x/)?

And afterward please send us a support package https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file (please add a link to this thread into the comment so that we can match it).

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
Hello,

thanks to all who sent us support packages. From those, it seems that the Avast AV is in a state where it does not have KExts allowed, however the GUI does not display the correct information.

Shields use KExts (kernel extensions) to protect you actively. On modern Mac OS X, an user action is needed once to allow an application like Avast AV to load kernel extensions. We have a tutorial here:

https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Mac-Security-High-Sierra-allow-extensions

However as reported it seems that our GUI does not correctly display the first window from step 1) of the tutorial and shows a generic "something went wrong with Core Shields" instead.

Please, ensure that you have System Preferences closed, open Terminal and run following command:

Code: [Select]
sudo /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/Backend/hub/modules/014_fileshield.sh fix; echo $?
you will be asked for your password. Afterwards, do the alternative action from the tutorial step 1): "Alternatively, open System Preferences from the Dock or the Apple menu, then open Security & Privacy." and afterwards follow the remaining steps.

Please send me output of the command from Terminal to ondrej.kolacek <at> avast.com and also please respond with whether it fixed the issue.

Please note that we are not able to replicate the issue; it may be some kind of weird corner case/rare race condition that causes this. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek