Author Topic: Virus definitions  (Read 75579 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus definitions
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
maybe steaming updates could be added to the manual update screen so users can see the daily update without having to go to the Defs folder to see they are protected.
You dont have to do that .... if anything is wrong avast will popup a error message

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
Explanations apparently don't seem to matter.
VPS updates happening Once or Twice daily aren't rules written in stone.
It is what it is.
The average user, doesn't make changes to the default settings and, by default, they would be receiving
Streaming and VPS updates.
As with any program, if you make changes to the settings, you do so by choice and have to accept whatever results those changes
may cause.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »
INFO: Following the attack attempt on our network which we communicated on October 21, we thoroughly scrutinized all releases which led to the suspension of VPS updates for all Avast products versions 9.x - 19.x for four days, which was an important precautionary measure to analyze them for any modified code. This is the reason for the delay in the delivery of VPS updates last week. We have since confirmed that the VPS updates are secure. As a second additional step, we implemented a process whereby product updates, including VPS updates, are thoroughly checked and updated every few days, instead on a daily basis. We are working hard on returning to our regular process of issuing daily VPS updates.

For Avast users who are currently still using an Avast version 8.x, the VPS updates are on hold and undergoing rigorous inspection. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible.

Despite these delays, we are confident to say that all of our users are protected. Avast’s threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates that are being released continuously between the aggregate VPS updates run every 3-5 minutes to deliver virus definition data, and ensure that our business and consumer users remains fully protected at all times.

Dear Avast Team,

in Version 8 the VPS signatures are still 191012-8.

When is it to be expected that in this version the automatic VPS updates will work again?

best regards
Sky
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:45:06 PM by =SKY= »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
maybe steaming updates could be added to the manual update screen so users can see the daily update without having to go to the Defs folder to see they are protected.
You dont have to do that .... if anything is wrong avast will popup a error message

We appear to be going round in circles which bit of "I DO NOT WANT TO RELY ON A MESSAGE TELLING ME UPDATES ARE NOT WORKING I WANT TO MANUALLY UPDATE IT AND SEE THEY ARE" do you not understand.

Offline max_headroom

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
Explanations apparently don't seem to matter.
VPS updates happening Once or Twice daily aren't rules written in stone.
It is what it is.

It would appear you also do not read and take on board what i am saying  or choose not to.

I get the bit about VPS updates but as i have said (on more than one occasion in the thread) before the current problem every time i booted the PC in the evening i would check for updates manually (as in the screen shot below) and 99% of the times i did this the current date would show as the new date when the manual update finished, we are now in a situation where doing the same doesn't and in most cases shows the day before or earlier, i know this doesn't necessarily mean we are not up to date but the only option we are left with to make 100% sure is by checking the Defs folder, which was not necessary prior to the current problems.

The average user, doesn't make changes to the default settings and, by default, they would be receiving
Streaming and VPS updates.

I never suggested they wouldn't what i am saying again is if you prefer to manually update using the in built option to do so you no longer see it has updates as i have explained above.

As with any program, if you make changes to the settings, you do so by choice and have to accept whatever results those changes
may cause.

Could you point out where i have said i have changed the settings as i have already posted a screen shot showing i haven't.

Could i also ask whey we have an option to manually update if its as you are saying not necessary because its automatically up to date?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:44:19 PM by max_headroom »

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »

My standings (see screenshot).
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »

Given the UI bug in reporting correctly the version I find it much quicker to use my shortcut to the defs folder.  This also give the Date Time Group (DTG) of its arrival on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
To summarize:
  • Primary concern seems to be VPS definitions updates are not current and do not show in the GUI unless the system is restarted
  • This is a known GUI bug and does not affect protection at all (See Streaming protection below)
  • This bug does affect user perceptions related to how current the virus definitions are and causes some users to resort to manually updating their systems only to see that update push fail as there is no newer VPS version available
  • Note was posted here earlier in this thread about a possible attack on Piriform's CCleaner database, and a concomitant possible breach of Avast antivirus definitions that caused Avast devs to delay normal Avast VPS consolidations on a daily  basis on the basis of extreme caution and testing
  • Streaming virus updates have been a feature of Avast antivirus protection since at least version 7
  • Virus definitions are not the only layer of real-time defense and protection present in Avast
In short, there is nothing wrong with Avast protection, just a perception it is.  The program installed is fine, it is just the server does not have the expected newer VPS file at the time one checks manually for it. 

Your program is a client of Avast and Avast is responsible for maintenance of both the server and files on it and your program installed on your system.

You can try this site here to test your protection if you have questions:  https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »

Given the UI bug in reporting correctly the version I find it much quicker to use my shortcut to the defs folder.  This also give the Date Time Group (DTG) of its arrival on your system.

Good idea. Thank you.
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
Following up on DavidR:  (see streaming defs attached below)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2019, 02:11:01 PM »
INFO: Following the attack attempt on our network which we communicated on October 21, we thoroughly scrutinized all releases which led to the suspension of VPS updates for all Avast products versions 9.x - 19.x for four days, which was an important precautionary measure to analyze them for any modified code. This is the reason for the delay in the delivery of VPS updates last week. We have since confirmed that the VPS updates are secure. As a second additional step, we implemented a process whereby product updates, including VPS updates, are thoroughly checked and updated every few days, instead on a daily basis. We are working hard on returning to our regular process of issuing daily VPS updates.

For Avast users who are currently still using an Avast version 8.x, the VPS updates are on hold and undergoing rigorous inspection. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible.

Despite these delays, we are confident to say that all of our users are protected. Avast’s threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates that are being released continuously between the aggregate VPS updates run every 3-5 minutes to deliver virus definition data, and ensure that our business and consumer users remains fully protected at all times.

Dear Avast Team,

When is it to be expected that in this version the automatic VPS updates will work again?

best regards
Sky

Dear Avast Team,

it would be very nice if someone could comment briefly on the question ...

An answer would certainly be appreciated by other version 8 users, e.g. here (also with VPS 191012-8):

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=230019.msg1524712#msg1524712

Simply silence is not a good solution! :(

Best regards

Sky
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »
My last update was 10/29/2019

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »

Dear Avast Team,

best regards
Sky

Dear Avast Team,

it would be very nice if someone could comment briefly on the question ...

An answer would certainly be appreciated by other version 8 users, e.g. here (also with VPS 191012-8):

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=230019.msg1524712#msg1524712

Simply silence is not a good solution! :(

Best regards

Sky

It's possible no one has an answer and/or hasn't seen your post as yet.
Your version obviously limits the amount of users that could assist if they have not got V 8 installed.
Hopefully you will be offered some info. soon :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
<snip quotes>
It's possible no one has an answer and/or hasn't seen your post as yet.
Your version obviously limits the amount of users that could assist if they have not got V 8 installed.
Hopefully you will be offered some info. soon :)

I'm sure I have seen something relating to (attempted hack) the older avast 5-8 VPS update function (updates on server, etc.) has yet to be analysed.  Priority was placed on current versions of avast. 

I think there was also something about end of life for avast version 5-8 VPS Updates, as early as the end of this year.  Hopefully it will be resolved soon (before end of life), but I don't know how much priority would be placed on these old legacy versions.

AS you can see here, https://www.avast.com/download-update Avast 5-8 is low man on the totem pole, so I fear that is correct about its end of VPS support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Michael529

« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
I wonder if we are poised for a VPS update? As I write, I haven't had a streaming update for about 90 minutes, which would be worrying if it continued. My VPS is showing as 191029-0 and I have a 1910310-8 stream that isn't updating.

UPDATED OK streaming has started again.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:20:40 PM by Michael529 »