Author Topic: Can't uninstall mac free version 14.2 avast security  (Read 17215 times)

Offline wayne149

Can't uninstall mac free version 14.2 avast security
« on: October 16, 2019, 04:38:49 AM »
i am trying to remove this software from my mac.  i have searched everywhere trying to find the answer.  the only answer i find everywhere is wrong it states

"In your Applications folder, double-click the Avast icon to open the application.
Click Avast in the menu bar on the top-left of the screen and select Uninstall Avast Premium Security.
Click Uninstall."

however there is no menu bar in the top.  only the 3 vertical lines on the upper right and when i click everywhere there there is nothing at all about uninstalling.  when i use the help feature i get the same useless instructions.

can someone please help.  If I can't successfully remove this application i guess i will need to clean my drive and start over.
Thanks

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Can't uninstall mac free version 14.2 avast security
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Hello,
can you see the Avast GUI after you double click the Avast icon? The menu is on the top left, and is contextual for the app that is in the foreground, this means that unless you have the Avast GUI focused, the menu will belong to other app. You can also clicl on the small icon of Avast on the top right and select Open Avast Security to open the Avast GUI.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline wayne149

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:42:43 PM »
LOL, I didn't even think to look up at the top of the display, I was too focused on the application window.  Thanks, that did it.

Offline teche70

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
I uninstalled the free version for Mac but there are files that were not removed, such as, Avast application which you cannot remove (says Avast cannot be modified or deleted because its required by macOS) when trying to drag it to trash.  It also keep generating a file called "SiteSecurityServiceState.txt" and you can delete that but it keeps getting regenerated by something.
How do we fully uninstall all Avast files?
I've also tried removing them via terminal with no luck.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
I uninstalled the free version for Mac but there are files that were not removed, such as, Avast application which you cannot remove (says Avast cannot be modified or deleted because its required by macOS) when trying to drag it to trash.  It also keep generating a file called "SiteSecurityServiceState.txt" and you can delete that but it keeps getting regenerated by something.
How do we fully uninstall all Avast files?
I've also tried removing them via terminal with no luck.

teche70, it looks like you didn't uninstall it properly with Avast's uninstaller recently.... Please follow Jakub's suggestion - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=230003.msg1522901#msg1522901
Quality is also a feature.

Offline teche70

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
the way I uninstalled it was open the Avast application and click "Avast" in top left next to Apple icon, then select "uninstall".  Is that not the correct way to uninstall it?

Also I dont have options for either step 1 or 2 in the link you suggested as the uninstall likely already removed folder in those paths.
other suggestions?

Offline Kelly140

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 04:58:42 AM »
 So why you guys want to uninstall avast from your Macs? Does it because it's not optimized for macOS Catalina or what? I'm just a happy user so far :)

Offline dparalingova

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Hi Guys,

Do you have any other suggestions for this issue.

I am having the same problem with the Avast free version and Jacob's suggestion does not work for me. I can't remove the corrupt file of avast.app.  I have already uninstalled the app and the uninstaller has deleted all the folders so neither 1 nor 2 work. I still have the damaged avast.app file and I cannot do anything to it e.g - move, delete, delete the folders it is in, change name etc. It always keeps saying 'the app cannot be deleted as it is required for macOS' or ' cannot be opened as the app is damaged or incomplete'
I have tried removing it through terminal, or Safe mode - no luck. I have also tried installing/uninstalling the app again and cleaning it with Deep scan but it didn't help either. The annoying corrupt file is still there and not a single change could be done to it.

See screenshots attached. I am using the Catalina version.

Please help!

Offline guillaumelou

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
you can install easyfind  https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/easyfind/id411673888?mt=12

and try to remove manualy all the files it will find. The avantage of Easyfind it can show you the hidden files...there is a box to tick for that.

Some files will need your administrator password to be deleted.

After that try a new install.

There are many problems with Catalina, I stay with Mojave for now ;)

Offline dparalingova

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »
you can install easyfind  https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/easyfind/id411673888?mt=12

and try to remove manualy all the files it will find. The avantage of Easyfind it can show you the hidden files...there is a box to tick for that.

I don't know if it's Catalina or just Avast.
I tried the program.  It found about 10 more files.  However, none of them can be destroyed or deleted even manually 1 by one. What on Earth is wrong with this app??

Do I have to make a general restore to my OS????

Offline guillaumelou

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »

I tried the program.  It found about 10 more files.  However, none of them can be destroyed or deleted even manually 1 by one. What on Earth is wrong with this app??

I don't understand why you can't delete the files. I have done it several times with Sierra and Mojave and never had an issue...
Are you loged as Admin ? If yes, I can't tell you why....

Offline dparalingova

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »

I don't understand why you can't delete the files. I have done it several times with Sierra and Mojave and never had an issue...
Are you loged as Admin ? If yes, I can't tell you why....

Yes, I am. But it seems like the OS thinks I am not for these files only... I think that is the whole problem. It does not let me touch it even in Safe mode or via Terminal.

Offline dparalingova

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »
UPDATE: I did it! It disappeared after reinstalling macOS! 

Offline Benas

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »
Hello, i had the same problem. there is not need to reinstall mac os. You need to disable SIP. You can do that by:
1.going to the recovery mode. (while starting mac press comand + r)
2.go to utilities at the top and press terminal
3.then type "csrutil disable" (this command disables SIP "System Integrity Protection").
4.After that restart. When you restart find the avast.app and then you will be able to see an option to move the avast.app to bin.
After you do that you might want to enable the SIP again. To do that do the 3 step, but instead type "csrutil enable".

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208478/how-do-i-disable-system-integrity-protection-sip-aka-rootless-on-macos-os-x
Found the solution here. Hope it helps.

P.S. Type the commands without the comma.