Author Topic: VRDB  (Read 9919 times)

Luis

VRDB
« on: February 02, 2003, 02:13:33 AM »
I have Avast installed now for about 24 hrs.  I have VRBR activated but the message in the simple mode says the Database is not yet done, do I have to do something else to get the program to start collecting this database.
How large is this database once it is compiled, as a percentage of the total data.

Thanks again

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
Re:VRDB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 12:28:54 AM »
VRDB can be generated in two ways: when screen saver is shown or when computer is not used (= there are no input events). First case is a default one.
If you want to see generation of VRDB use for its generation second method (select it from popup menu) and stop work on computer for several seconds. VRDB generation should be then started...

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 12:31:03 AM »
Size of database depends on number of executable modules on your harddisk...
I have got some 180,000 files on my harddisk and database is 6.5 MB large...

Luis

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 01:13:27 AM »
The computer has been idle for long legths of time.  (hours) but the program still tells me "no yet done"  I'm set up to VRDB when screen saver is active and yes, I do have a screen saver.

Thanks in advance;

:Luis

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 12:12:49 PM »
Check subfolder "data/integ" of avast! installation (c:\program files\alwil software\avast4 by default). There should be file named avast.int if program has started VRDB generation.
What operating system you are using?

Luis

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 04:44:32 PM »
Yes, the file you mention is there.  8.800KB and on the siple mode screeen I get that it was created today, just a few minutes ago when I started the computer.   Why was it not created when I first installed the software (three days ago), is anybody's guess.
I'm running WinXP Proffessional.

Thanks

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 07:21:24 PM »
It cannot be created just in time of installation simply because it take some time to process whole disk...
It was created some before you have turned computer on? Haven't you some time synchronization or something like that?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2003, 07:21:38 PM by Roman Svihalek »

Luis

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 12:59:17 AM »
I switched to updating the VRDB when the computer is idle, rather than when the screen saver is running and it has updated.  So possibly my particular screen saver is somehow incompatible with your algorithm

Can you point me to the instructions on how to use the VRDB to fix damage already done (that is, if and when a virus does sneack into my system, what do I do)
I guesss the first thing is to create an emergency boot up disk.  I haven't looked but I gather WinXP has a facility for creating such a rescue floppy. Bu then what?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 05:34:36 AM »
Is there a rescue disk for system crashes and using VRDB feature?  ???
The best things in life are free.

Waldo

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 11:02:56 PM »
I don't think ( i'm sure)  there is a create "rescue disk" option, but AVAST will give you the option to use VRDB when you are REALLY infected with some nasty virus (and got some damage) >To restore your system.

Just hope you will never have to use the VRDB....because when you need it, your are in lot of shit already. :)

Waldo

techie101

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 11:34:10 PM »
Luis,

Waldo is correct.  There is no "rescue disk" for Avast.  When and IF your system is infected, Avast will indicate that you can restore your system to a previously saved configuration using the VRDB.
Avast is a fantasti ;)c program which really requires little monitoring or tinkering!

Good Luck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 04:49:28 AM »
Thanks anyway... I do not want to use VRDB, just to know...  ;D

mantra

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 10:20:55 AM »
Waldo
"because when you need it, your are in lot of shit already. "

do u think avast is not able to clean inflected files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 04:42:04 AM »
Waldo
"because when you need it, your are in lot of shit already. "

do u think avast is not able to clean inflected files?

Waldo, what do you tell me about http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=796

IsnĀ“t VRDB working?  8)