Author Topic: VPS Update Delivery Degradation  (Read 19602 times)

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
VPS Update Delivery Degradation
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »
Incident Report for Avast Business Managed Antivirus and CloudCare
The VPS feature is currently experiencing delivery issues and we are working to resolve this imminently.
Avast’s threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates from the rest of the systems ensure that our users are still fully protected.
Sources:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:43:34 PM by mickey.b »
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
Virus Definition Update Delivery Degradation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
Incident Report for Avast Business Managed Antivirus and CloudCare
We are continuing to experience issues with the delivery of our virus definitions, and are working to resolve this as soon as possible.
At this time, the most recent virus definitions have been deployed for the latest versions of Avast for Windows, and for Avast Business Managed Antivirus, we are working on bringing Mac, Linux and Avast legacy for Windows back up-to-date.
The effect here is that devices will show as out-of-date/trigger configured notifications.
Avast's threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates from the rest of the systems ensure that our users are still fully protected.
In the meantime, users can temporarily disable the "virus database is out of date" alert/notification within the Avast Business Management console or CloudCare portal.
Sources:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:43:06 PM by mickey.b »
- Mickey B.

Offline AfB3

Re: VPS Update Delivery Degradation
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:52:59 AM »
hi,

Customer have update issues since 2019/10/09, it's 3 weeks ago.

they need to know when will avast fix that problem.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:02:09 AM by AfB3 »

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
Update - Following the attack attempt on our network which we communicated on October 21, we thoroughly scrutinized all releases which led to the suspension of VPS updates for all Avast Business products versions 9.x - 19.7 for four days, which was an important precautionary measure to analyze them for any modified code. This is the reason for the delay in the delivery of VPS updates last week. We have since confirmed that the VPS updates are secure. As a second additional step, we implemented a process whereby product updates, including VPS updates, are thoroughly checked and updated every few days, instead on a daily basis. We are working hard on returning to our regular process of issuing daily VPS updates.
For around 10% of Avast Business users who are currently still using an Avast Business version 8.x, the VPS updates are on hold and undergoing rigorous inspection. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible.
Despite these delays, we are confident to say that all of our users are protected. Avast’s threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates that are being released continuously between the aggregate VPS updates run every 3-5 minutes to deliver virus definition data, and ensure that our business and consumer users remains fully protected at all times.

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
Update - Following the attack attempt on our network which we communicated on October 21, we thoroughly scrutinized all releases which led to the suspension of VPS updates for all Avast Business products versions 9.x - 19.7 for four days, which was an important precautionary measure to analyze them for any modified code. This is the reason for the delay in the delivery of VPS updates last week. We have since confirmed that the VPS updates are secure. As a second additional step, we implemented a process whereby product updates, including VPS updates, are thoroughly checked and updated every few days, instead on a daily basis. We are working hard on returning to our regular process of issuing daily VPS updates.
For around 10% of Avast Business users who are currently still using an Avast Business version 8.x, the VPS updates are on hold and undergoing rigorous inspection. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible.
Despite these delays, we are confident to say that all of our users are protected. Avast’s threat detection systems consist of multiple layers of security and the automatically streamed updates that are being released continuously between the aggregate VPS updates run every 3-5 minutes to deliver virus definition data, and ensure that our business and consumer users remains fully protected at all times.

Here's some more information regarding the breach within our internal network...
- Mickey B.

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »
Hello, we are on AEA console and version 8.0.1609 on the clients and our VPS updates are still stuck on VPS 191012-8

Is there any update on when the mirror will resume operations and the VPS will resume updating?

We have about 300 pcs that need these VPS.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Live long and prosper

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 12:26:33 AM »
Hello 10nico,

Version 8.0.1497 (Free) has been updated to VPS 191031-8.

Only for your knowledge!

Warm greetings from Germany

Sky
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »
Hello 10nico,

Version 8.0.1497 (Free) has been updated to VPS 191031-8.

Only for your knowledge!

Warm greetings from Germany

Sky

Hello and thank you, I have checked now and mine has updated to 191102-0 ( Nov 02 , 2019 )
At least now it can detect the current wave of .doc file attachment viruses which is hitting us!

However it's not completely up to date to today, in fact I see the newer avast 19.7.2573 has updated its VPS to 191103-2.

I guess it's better than nothing...

Have a nice day!  :)

Live long and prosper

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 06:27:21 PM »
Hi 10nico,

thanks for your feedback! :)

V.8 is now up to date on VPS 191105-2! ;)

Best regards

Sky
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »
Hi 10nico,

thanks for your feedback! :)

V.8 is now up to date on VPS 191105-2! ;)

Best regards

Sky

Hello again, I have checked right now and I too have VPS 191105-2 !!

URRAH!  ;D

Have a nice evening.
Live long and prosper

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »
Thank you, 10nico,
I wish you the same!
Best regards
Sky

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
Problems again??? :o

Last VPS-Update is here for V. 8.0.1497 [Free] from 200108-2.

Best regards

Sky
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:34:34 AM by =SKY= »

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
Problems again??? :o

Last VPS-Update is here for V. 8.0.1497 [Free] from 200108-2.

Best regards

Sky

Our 8.0.1609 clients are stuck on 200108-4 here; the mirror is mirroring, but no new definitions show up.

However our win10 clients with version 19.7.2573 are updated to 200112-00

Mmmmhh....  :-\
Live long and prosper

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
Hi 10nico,

VPS-Updates stuck here on 200108-4, too!!!

It would be very nice, when the Avast-Team give a short statement...

Best regards

Sky

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »
The v8 version is EOL and the VPS updates were scheduled to be stopped on 31.12.2019.

You should consider upgrading to a later version.