Author Topic: OLE Documents - Standard Shield  (Read 2255 times)

sevendy

OLE Documents - Standard Shield
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:23:32 AM »
I have both MS Word and WordPerfect 10 Suite on my WinXP machine.  I have the default Standand Shield configuration (sensitivity set on "High"), so "Scan OLE documents on open" is checked.  Using the Advanced settings and checking "Show detailed info on performed action", I can watch which files are scanned as I browse through files with Windows Explorer.  I notice that while ".doc" (MS Word), ".qpw" (QuattroPro), and ".shw" (Corel Presentations) files are scanned, ".wpd" and ".wcm" files (WordPerfect) are NOT unless I manually add  them to the "Scan files with these extensions" list.  As far as I can tell, WordPerfect documents are registered as OLE objects on my machine.

Is there a problem here?

kubecj

Re: OLE Documents - Standard Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:23:37 AM »
OLE documents are files containing other files in special 'DOC' format. WPD probably does not use such an format. You may check that with hex editor, the files start with D0CF11E0 (docfile, for hex geeks  ;))

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
What about OpenOffice documents? They are renamed ZIP archives containing required data in them. Is avast! scanning these as ZIP archivs at all or they just don't need to be scanned yet as they don't pose any threat (yet)?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

sevendy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »
Thanks--I did not know that!  I checked the file types I mentioned, and you're right:  only the ".wpd" and ".wcm" files did not start with D0CF11E0.