Author Topic: Can't Stop Avast!  (Read 4131 times)

justchange

Can't Stop Avast!
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:01:34 AM »
I just installed a new harddrive and used the manufacturer's utility to copy the old contents to the new drive. Avast! didn't like this, so I un-installed and re-installed it (Avast!).
Now, 262,438 files into the process of a thorough scan of the new drive, it's been stuck at the same place for 6-8 hours.
I tried to stop it, but it doesn't respond to the "stop" button, but the mouse curser changes to a "busy" icon when over the GUI.
I tried to pause it and it changes "status" from "running" to "paused".
When I click the "start" button again, it changes status to "running", but says "Initializing engine, please wait..." in the line above "status".

I'm sure I can kill it in Task Manager, but Avast! said it has found infections, so I don't really want to lose its work so far, nor start the all-day scan again... if possible.
Any ideas?

WinXP SP2, AMD Athlon 2700+, 1 GB RAM, Maxtor 300GB HDD, DSL

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't Stop Avast!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »
I just installed a new harddrive and used the manufacturer's utility to copy the old contents to the new drive. Avast! didn't like this, so I un-installed and re-installed it (Avast!).
It's an antipiracy feature...  :)

Now, 262,438 files into the process of a thorough scan of the new drive, it's been stuck at the same place for 6-8 hours.
I tried to stop it, but it doesn't respond to the "stop" button, but the mouse curser changes to a "busy" icon when over the GUI.
I tried to pause it and it changes "status" from "running" to "paused".
When I click the "start" button again, it changes status to "running", but says "Initializing engine, please wait..." in the line above "status".
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report). After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem. The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

I'm sure I can kill it in Task Manager, but Avast! said it has found infections, so I don't really want to lose its work so far, nor start the all-day scan again... if possible.
Are you using the Home version?
Do you know the name and the path of the infected files?
The best things in life are free.

justchange

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:31:45 AM »
I am using the Home version.
I went ahead and killed it with Task Manager.
I couldn't get off the scanning GUI to see the infected file name(s).

I have now enabled the logfile, with "ok files" as you suggested and re-started the scan.

It was mentioned in other posts that the filename displayed in the GUI is not necessarily the current nor most recently scanned file, but... since it showed a file in my eMule Incoming folder when it stalled (a likely location for corrupted/infected files), I deleted most of the files there (before I read your post.)

I'll let you know how this second scan comes out.
Thanks for your help.
AY

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »
It was mentioned in other posts that the filename displayed in the GUI is not necessarily the current nor most recently scanned file, but... since it showed a file in my eMule Incoming folder when it stalled (a likely location for corrupted/infected files), I deleted most of the files there (before I read your post.)
In fact, the Standard Shield is more important than the IM provider (scanning emule).
Besides this, the log file should reflect better the situation than the file displayed in the GUI.

Oh, do you have any interesting info the avast Log Viewer?
Can you set the log level to debug (the most bottom one...)?

justchange

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 07:14:32 PM »
In fact, the Standard Shield is more important than the IM provider (scanning emule).
I run all the modules available in the Home version.

I didn't notice this option when I started the second scan, but now that it's running it won't allow access to the options(?)... only stop, pause, or background.

Oh, do you have any interesting info the avast Log Viewer?
Only this: after another 6-8 hours it's up to 508,000+ files and still running strong!
And, Current scanner status: infected.

justchange

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 04:40:57 AM »
After running 16+ hours, no more problems.
Three adware trojans were found, as well as many corrupted (old peripheral drivers) and p/w protected files (Spybot S&D mostly).

The files I deleted earlier (from eMule) were 650~750MB avi's. So, rather than being locked-up, it may have just been thinking very hard when I interrupted it.  ;)

Thank you for your help.
Avast! is an excellent product which I frequently recommend to the many people I help with their computers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 04:22:39 PM »
I didn't notice this option when I started the second scan, but now that it's running it won't allow access to the options(?)... only stop, pause, or background./quote]
Hope this screenshot helps...

justchange

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
Thx! (I missed that!)

I have appreciated the very helpful attitude and responses here.
I hope this thread will help others to troubleshoot their own problems.

Since all is working well, now, please consider this thread closed.