Author Topic: WebShield + Analogx Proxy  (Read 12508 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: WebShield + Analogx Proxy
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »

Hi Lukor

I'll install Zone Alarm in computer 2 and give it a try! Talk about overkill...  :D

Thanks

Leonardo

Seems to me like you would like one computer on the network to be able to detect what applications are running on some other computer and what more be able to limit their functionality  ::) hmm. interresting.

quinag

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:02 PM »
I don't know why it does not work together, but there is also the other way to share the web.

1) edit avast4.ini in c:\Alwil Software\avast4\data\avast4.ini
2) in the section [WebScanner] add the line

[WebScanner]
ListenOnLocalhostOnly=0

3) restart WebShield provider

Then you can configure the browser on the computer 2 to use proxy on 192.168.10.1, port 12080

Hi all,

I have been using the above setting successfully since reading Lukor's post last year. It enabled another computer on my home network to share the internet connection of my main computer, by using WebShield as a proxy server instead of the incompatible AnalogX proxy. However, after upgrading from v4.7.844 to v4.7.871 recently, WebShield crashed on the server computer whenever the client computer attempted to access the web. This prevented web browsing from either computer.

I have deleted the ListenOnLocalhostOnly=0 setting from avast4.ini and now WebShield works fine again on the server, but the client computer can no longer access the web. >:(

Does anyone know if it is an intentional change that the ListenOnLocalhostOnly=0 setting is no longer supported? This is not mentioned in the Revision History for either v4.7.869 or 4.7.871.

I do not want to go back to the older Avast version, or to lose the protection of WebShield.

Win98SE, ZoneAlarm free v5.5.094.000

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 12:11:58 AM »
Lukor would know better, but I don't think there were any options removed from the ini file.
Are there any unpXXXXX files in the <avast4>\Data\Log folder? (with timestamps corresponding to WebShield crashes)
The exact error/crash message might also help...

quinag

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:31 AM »
Igor,

Yes, there are several unpXXXXXXXXX.tmp files in the log folder. Most of them appear to be truncated and don't give any useful information but one contains the following:

"------------
Fault source
------------
E:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHWEBSV.EXE caused an Illegal Instruction at location 00dc03f8."

This is followed by a lot of stuff about Crash Place, Register Content etc. - I could post or email the complete file if anyone wants to wade through it.

I didn't note the exact wording of the error message but it was not specific - something like avast had a problem and needed to close, with an offer to send an error report. Afterwards the On-Access Control Panel said that the WebShield Provider was still running, but both Firefox and IE6 gave timeout errors. Outlook Express still downloaded email OK though the Internet Mail Provider.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 01:09:12 AM »
I could post or email the complete file if anyone wants to wade through it.
Please, zip them and send to rypacek@asw.cz
Write down a link to this thread on the body message...

Other option to debug is activate logging in WebShield:

1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
The best things in life are free.

quinag

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
Tech,

Thanks. I have emailed the files. I will try to capture a log file when I can find time for more troubleshooting.