Author Topic: Avast Premium Web Shield prevents my browser to use internet  (Read 1993 times)

Offline antoinehure08

Avast Premium Web Shield prevents my browser to use internet
« on: October 18, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
Hello,
I have a subscription to Avast Premium Security and I have a problem with the Web Shield.
After having subscribed and activated protection, I had noticed that my browser (Opera for PC, latest version) wouldn't access to the Internet anymore. I searched for a reason and tried to deactivate Avast Web Shield: it worked!
My question is: I still want to be protected by the Web Shield; is there any way to have it activated and still have access to the Internet?
Thank you

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast Premium Web Shield prevents my browser to use internet
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »
Try setting your 'Firewall profile' to Private not Public if you haven't already done so (after you re-enable Web Shield).

Offline antoinehure08

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 11:48:23 PM »
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't have any effect, I was already in Private on the profile.
I have noticed applications settings on the Firewall, Opera only had "internet out"; I changed it to "all connections" and nevertheless nothing has changed :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 12:05:30 AM »
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't have any effect, I was already in Private on the profile.
I have noticed applications settings on the Firewall, Opera only had "internet out"; I changed it to "all connections" and nevertheless nothing has changed :(

Whilst I don't have Avast Firewall, I just wonder if you need to stop and restart the Firewall for the new settings to take effect. 

If that doesn't work it wouldn't hurt to try a system restart,
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline antoinehure08

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »
Hi there,

Whilst I don't have Avast Firewall, I just wonder if you need to stop and restart the Firewall for the new settings to take effect. 

If that doesn't work it wouldn't hurt to try a system restart,

Hi, thanks for your reply. It does not change anything...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
You're welcome.

Sorry I have just read your first post (I should have read it first as I thought this was a firewall issue):
Quote from: antoinehure08
After having subscribed and activated protection, I had noticed that my browser (Opera for PC, latest version) wouldn't access to the Internet anymore. I searched for a reason and tried to deactivate Avast Web Shield: it worked!

How does this present itself, e.g. does it give an error message (if so can you post a screenshot) or does it just not connect ?
What happens if you disable https scanning in the web shield settings, does it work then ?

If you are using a different browser and the web shield is enabled does that work ?

Unfortunately I use Firefox as my browser of choice and that is fine with Avast Free and the Web Shield enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline antoinehure08

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I tried desactivating the https scanning = same result.
There's no error, just the browser tries to load the pages until it says no connection.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
- Which version of Avast Premium..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
- Which version of Opera..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jursa

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I tried desactivating the https scanning = same result.
There's no error, just the browser tries to load the pages until it says no connection.

Hi, thank you for reporting the issue.

Could you please help us with investigation by providing some data?

Please enable debug logging (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Enable debug logging)
Reproduce the `no connection` state with your browser.
Create a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-support-file) and post the ID here.
Thank you very much,
David.