Author Topic: Adobe Flash Player contains malware  (Read 4699 times)

Offline SevenSeas

Adobe Flash Player contains malware
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »
Greetings all,

My computer ran an automated Avast scan (as it does every week) and it came back with two issues that were moved to the Virus Chest.  My question is, is there anything else I need to do about this?

/Users/<myNameRedacted>/.Trash/AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller 12.20.26 AM.dmg
/Users/<myNameRedacted>/.Trash/AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller.dmg

Under "Infection Details" Avast reports:

Other:Malware-gen [Trj]

How can I find out more details about this?  I don't remember if I already ran the Flash Player installer (I probably did), but should I be concerned?

I appreciate any and all help.  I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year of 2019!
MacBook Pro
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Avast 13.11

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Adobe Flash Player contains malware
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:21 AM »
Many sites with infected scripts will try to trick you to download the malware disguised as a flash player update.

You can upload the file to virustotal.com to confirm its malware, and run a full scan with Avast for Mac to check to see if it has installed malware on your system
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline SevenSeas

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
Many sites with infected scripts will try to trick you to download the malware disguised as a flash player update.

You can upload the file to virustotal.com to confirm its malware, and run a full scan with Avast for Mac to check to see if it has installed malware on your system

Thank you for the advice!  I uploaded the file to virustotal.com and it was confirmed as malware.  A full Avast scan showed no installed malware, so I feel much better about the situation.  Thank you again, and a Happy New Year to you and all!
MacBook Pro
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Avast 13.11

Offline cindyrinaldi

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
How do I FIX this for the MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave?  In spite of Avast scans and manually removing files per with instructions for this problem, it remains.  I bought Avast Premium hoping it would fix this, but no luck.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
How do I FIX this for the MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave?  In spite of Avast scans and manually removing files per with instructions for this problem, it remains.  I bought Avast Premium hoping it would fix this, but no luck.

Hi Cindy!

What malware was reported by Avast/ Can you post a screenshot of the infection so we can advise further?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay