Author Topic: Registration under Vista only for Admins?  (Read 2657 times)

mst

Registration under Vista only for Admins?
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
Hi all,

I installed avast! on the x64 version of the Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384) and encountered the following problem: when I want to add the license key as a normal user an error message appears that says that only admins are allowed to do this. So I added it as an admin. But when I check it as a normal user again it does not seem to notice and only tells me that the demo time will end soon  ???.

What did I miss here?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Registration under Vista only for Admins?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
I would suggest that you uninstall avast using the same account that you installed it and then install it from 'the Administrator Account' and enter the registration key from the administrator account. That way avast should be available to other users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:14 PM »
But when I check it as a normal user again
Downgrading to normal user will mess the account, this is my personal experience.
avast does not work well in computers with more than one account with admin rights  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:30:08 PM »
Did you try to insert the key by click the avast tray icon, or by opening the About box directly from the main avast program (run e.g. from the desktop shortcut)?

I'm afraid that, due to the "UAC" feature in Vista, you'll have to do it via the main program (the tray icon doesn't have sufficient access rights).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mst

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »
I tried the tray icon with no success. The main program worked. Thanks for the tip!