Author Topic: How to block popup windows?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Yan25

How to block popup windows?
« on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
Hi everyone.

I have avast on my mac, and popup windows like that appears very often:

How can I disable them?

Offline jputting

Re: How to block popup windows?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
Hi,

This is indeed an unfortunate example of Avast getting very pushy in their attempts to get you to upgrade to their PREMIUM SECURITY or PRO version of their Antivirus.

Avast are not going to stop these type of popup windows and you can not disable them, You have only one other option and that is to uninstall Avast and use the FREE Avira or Sophos mac antivirus.

This is exactly what I have done as I simply will not tolerate constant nagging via pushy popup windows to upgrade to Avast PREMIUM SECURITY or PRO.

I am now using the FREE Avira for mac and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Avira performs well in independent Antivirus testing and Avira for mac will not relentlessly nag you to upgrade via popup windows.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:11:12 AM by jputting »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:11:33 PM »
Hello,
This is a Threat alert window. It cannot be turned off. It signals you that something serious is happening. In most cases, no action is required as the threat was already resolved but you should be aware of the situation. In your case, you tried to reach an URL which contained a malicious software according to our ThreatLab team.

And yes, we takean opportunity to promote our premium product to free customers. I assume it's a quite fair trade off for free AV. The button is designed that ONLY ONCE a day (in the first alert) it offers you the premium product. Anyway feel free to ignore the offer button and don't click it. Just close the window.

Please let us know if you see the promo button more often - it'd be a bug!

Hi,

This is indeed an unfortunate example of Avast getting very pushy in their attempts to get you to upgrade to their PRO version of their Antivirus.

Avast are not going to stop these type of popup windows and you can not disable them, You have only one other option and that is to uninstall Avast and use the FREE Avira or Sophos mac antivirus.

This is exactly what I have done as I simply will not tolerate constant nagging via pushy popup windows to uprgade to Avast PRO.

I am now using the FREE Avira for mac and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Avira performs well in independent Antivirus testing and Avira for mac will not relentlessly nag you to upgrade via popup windows.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline jputting

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »
Hi,

I was indeed getting far,far more than 1 per day and they were driving mad, which stung me into uninstalling Avast.

I dont care if they are part of a security alert popup window or not, once I reject an offer I don't like repeated nagging attempts asking me to upgrade Avast.

There are many free Avast users whom don't have the financial resources to afford the PREMIUM Avast Security and forced to rely on free good quality NO FRILLS mac antivirus, for those users no amount of nagging is going to change this.

There are other mac users whom don't want a full featured suite which will use more system resources and require a steeper learning curve.

No matter how many times I am offered this the answer will still be a resounding loud and clear NO THANK YOU.

Please get the message loud and clear, if we reject your offer once, further repeated attempts are most likely to alienate Avast users whom don't like repeated nagging attempts to get us to upgrade.

It is purely because of this nagging and pushy nature of these popups I was offended and upset and stung into uninstalling Avast

Offline Rauff

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
Me too on this one. Daily pop-ups are bad enough, but I'm getting pop-ups all the time. Nagware is bad enough with just Apple doing it, additional programs are a deal-breaker. I am turning Avast off and will try out other solutions. Big disappointment.