Author Topic: disable boot scan?  (Read 3510 times)

romboutse

disable boot scan?
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:57:05 AM »
Hi,

I've recently installed avast! on a windows XP system. I've noticed that the boot scan takes an awfully long time, so I was wondering if there is any way to disable the boot scan?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: disable boot scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »
There's nothing to disable. The boot-time scan is performed only once - when you schedule it (unless you schedule it again, of course).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »
If it is a true scheduled boot scan, e.g. before windows starts, then what Igor said is applicable.

Or are you talking about overall duration every boot time is slower ?

If so what is the Sensitivity setting for Standard Shield ?
Normal is the default, the higher the setting the more files will be scanned.

What other security based software do you have that might be running at boot, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

romboutse

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »
I'm fine with Igor's answer, I was under the impression that the boot scan would be performed every time, whereas it indeed is only performed when it has been scheduled.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I don't have the impression overall boot time (without boot scan) is slower, so that's not an issue. The problem is that I don't want to wait for a boot scan to complete every time I boot my machine, as there is a fairly large disk in there (250Gb) which does take quite some time to scan completely.

Again, thanks for your help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »
I don't have the impression overall boot time (without boot scan) is slower, so that's not an issue. The problem is that I don't want to wait for a boot scan to complete every time I boot my machine, as there is a fairly large disk in there (250Gb) which does take quite some time to scan completely.
You can add a boot scan for every boot to just some folders (or files) if you want...
The best things in life are free.