Author Topic: Windows 7 keyboard driver causing problems waking from hibernate  (Read 973 times)

Offline nannersone

Windows 7 keyboard driver causing problems waking from hibernate
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »
This problem has only happened in the last week. I made no changes to my computer. From what I can tell, Avast updated a driver for my USB keyboard. My Dell Windows 7 PC is now not coming out of hibernation in less than 5 minutes unless I unplug it from the wall. When I plug it back in, Windows "resumes".   There is no problem when it is coming out of sleep, or when brought up from being powered off normally.  When I ask the system what is going on, it is telling me that the driver is causing the problem. This only happens with hibernation.

I restored to a checkpoint date of about two weeks ago.  Once the system was restored, I noted that there was a USB driver again being updated. I have all updates, other than Avast, turned off. The problem returned.

When I check the keyboard power info screen for the driver, it tells me:

C:\\windows\system32\drivers\aswKbd.sys
Provider: Avast Software
File Version:  19.8.4256.0
Copyright 2019 Avast Software
Digital Signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility

I am not particularly computer literate. Can someone tell me how I can fix this problem? At present the only thing I can think to do is to restore back to that 2-week old point after disconnecting my PC from the internet. Then setting Avast to not automatically update.  Then I could plug back onto the internet. Unfortunately, that would leave me not being able to have my virus protections updated - which is kind of contrary to the purpose of having Avast in the first place. The other option is to go with some other antivirus, which I'd rather not have to do.

Thanks for your help?