Author Topic: Restore an email attachment from the Virus Chest so the email can be deleted  (Read 1590 times)

Offline palmerj2

My email client moves all attachments into a file on my computer so they can be accesses off line.  I have received an attachment to an email and Avast has moved the attachment to Virus Chest.  When Avast does that, it pops up a warning alert on my computer. 

Then, apparently, my email client sees that the attachment has not been properly saved and it tries to save it again.  Then Avast sees that file again and moves it to the Virus Chest and pops up another warning alert.  This cycle is repeating endlessly and I'm getting twenty or more popup warnings a day.

Avast does not report anything about the problem except the name of the attachment.  When I go to search for the offending email so I can delete it, the attachment has been removed so my email client can't find it.  If Avast reported some other aspect of the offending situation, such as the Sender's name, I could search for that.  But it doesn't and I can't. 

I'm thinking that the only solution is to tell my Avast software to restore the offending attachment and then, I hope, I will be able to search for the email using the name of the attachment and delete the email.  Avast cautions against restoring suspect files, but I see no other option.  Any other ideas?

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
hello, would you mind to share some screenshots of the situation? The mac antivirus doesn't move anything to the chest - exactly because of the reason that you've mentioned. However more details should allow us to understand it.
Thank you
Lukas.

Quality is also a feature.

Offline palmerj2

Thank you very much for the response.  Eventually AVAST stopped reporting the problem so I lost interest in fixing it.  However it would still be worth looking into.
I'm enclosing a screen shot of my AVAST Virus Chest.  I'm not able to figure out a way to capture an image of the full "Original Location" but a manual extraction of that information is:

Threat name: PDF:UrlMal-inf[Trj]
Infected File: RECEIPTNSAINRO2OJ4ZZ.pdf
Original location:  /private/var/folders/2b/0d6p360d0wl9_xjxnd3xnd7m0000gr/T/com.readdle.smartemail-Mac/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved by Spark)
Date found: Nov 5, 2019 at 10:36 AM

I'm also enclosing screen shots of results of my searches for the infected email, with no success.

Nikol Smoliarenko <rdsupport@readdle.com>, with the company that makes my Spark email client has also been looking into this.  If helpful you could contact her (I assume Nikol is a "she"). Their reference is Update on Your Request {1128581}. 

Thanks again for looking into this.