Author Topic: AVast Business installing patch management  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Tommy90

AVast Business installing patch management
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:05 PM »
I was wondering if there was a way to edit the exe files I download so it doesn't install patch management at all. We do not use this new service and most likely never will but it still installs patch management with the AV client. I have turned off patch management in the download installer area and in our device settings policies so why is it still installing it onto my endpoints? I am not a big fan of installing unneeded software I am not going to use.

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
Re: AVast Business installing patch management
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »
I was wondering if there was a way to edit the exe files I download so it doesn't install patch management at all. We do not use this new service and most likely never will but it still installs patch management with the AV client. I have turned off patch management in the download installer area and in our device settings policies so why is it still installing it onto my endpoints? I am not a big fan of installing unneeded software I am not going to use.

Unfortunately, the Patch Management component automatically installs, but you can disable it in Device settings > select settings template (such as Default) > Patch Management tab. This will prevent scanning software on the devices using this settings template.

Also disable Patch Management notifications in Notifications > Notification settings button
Disable the first two options Patches failed to deploy and Missing patches found

To request the ability to uninstall Patch Management, or request any other features, please visit the Product Development website and click the Submit idea button in the top-right corner.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:53:07 PM by mickey.b »
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support

Offline longwood

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
Just as an aside, we don't have a patch management subscription either, but the Business Cloud Dashboard seems to report missing patches. However, the information is out of date. Does Avast continue to scan / report missing patches even without a patch management subscription?

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »
Just as an aside, we don't have a patch management subscription either, but the Business Cloud Dashboard seems to report missing patches. However, the information is out of date. Does Avast continue to scan / report missing patches even without a patch management subscription?

Even if you don't have a Patch Management subscription, it will continue to scan and report back to the Cloud Console until you disable in all settings templates for all devices. Once you have disabled it and also turned it off in all notifications, any alerts regarding Patch Management should clear out eventually. May take some time though.
- Mickey B.

Offline longwood

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
Mickey,

That's great. Many thanks.

Offline mickey.b

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Mickey,

That's great. Many thanks.

You're very welcome. If you have any issues, please submit a case at https://www.avast.com/business-support-contact
- Mickey B.

Offline Joshua245

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »
I was told by an AV Customer Rep that this is not the case.

Chat Transcript:
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:10:13 PM): Welcome to Avast Business Support
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:10:22 PM): Hello, how may I assist?
Me (10/7/2019, 1:10:54 PM): Hello Tanesha. I'm having some issues with the Patch Management on my Avast business management console.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:11:02 PM): Okay.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:12:13 PM): At the moment we do not have the subscription and are manually applying the recommended patches, but when deploying these patches, the avast console does not seem to recognize the patch has been resolved.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:13:23 PM): Are you using the Trial?
Me (10/7/2019, 1:14:14 PM): We are not, but the FAQ's say that the scans for the patches are included with the Avast for Business console.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:15:52 PM): Yes, it scans but it will not deploy unless you have a subscription.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:16:36 PM): Sure, I get that. We are manually patching our systems. So shouldn't the scans recognize that they have been deployed?
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:17:26 PM): No.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:20:20 PM): That's interesting. So even if we resolve a patch and the next scheduled scan is every day at 12:14 central time. The scans send back false information?

That's fine, we can just turn off the notifications for patches. Just seems like if there is a patch scan and there is not a patch that is needed, that information would be dropped from the console.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:23:49 PM): Thanks for the information though. It makes sense I guess. Avast wants its users to pay for the subscription. The patch notifications on our devices stating that they are insecure, definitely bugged me enough to start a chat.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:25:18 PM): The notifications are a one-time deal. It scans the devices once, then notifies of needed patches.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:25:40 PM): You can turn off the Patch Management setting so you will not see the missing patches notifications.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:27:59 PM): Ahh, so within the Patch Management in Settings Template its only available to function within the subscription?

That was not made very clear in the FAQ's. "IMPORTANT: Patch Scanning is available to all customers with Avast for Business Cloud Console for free and does not require a subscription to use. Missing patches will be displayed in Dashboard widgets, on the Devices (Patch Results) page, on the Patches page, and in Reports (Patches). Patch Management (and therefore patch scanning) is enabled by default."

Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:28:46 PM): "Patch Scanning"
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:29:03 PM): Patch Scanning is the only feature available.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:29:34 PM): Would you like to turn this setting off?
Me (10/7/2019, 1:31:50 PM): I can handle that. I think this is more of a suggestion/feedback than anything.

So just so I'm clear. The Patch Scanning is available for free, its scans as scheduled, but the notification of patches only happens once, unless there is a new patch that needs to be resolved?
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:34:08 PM): There is no 100% guarantee that the Patch Scans as scheduled if you do not have a Trial/Paid Subscription.
Me (10/7/2019, 1:34:52 PM): Ok, got it. Thanks again.
Tanesha (10/7/2019, 1:35:02 PM): You're welcome. Have a great day.

Offline Vidraçaria BH

• Vidraçaria BH
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
I'm having the same problem. Did you have any solution?
Frederico Moura
CEO da Vidraçaria BH
https://www.vidracariabh.com.br

Offline Pavel Jirsak

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »
Now for newly added devices the PM tools won't be installed on a device if Patch Management licence is not selected.

Also we will automatically uninstall Patch Management tools from all devices without Patch Management licence.
On some devices this is happening right now. For the rest of them this will happen during 7.18 release.
Product manager | Taking care of the cloud and on-prem consoles

Do you want to share your feedback with me?
pavel.jirsak(at)avast.com

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
Any E.T.A. for 7.18 release?

Offline Pavel Jirsak

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »
Now we are aiming for next week.
Product manager | Taking care of the cloud and on-prem consoles

Do you want to share your feedback with me?
pavel.jirsak(at)avast.com