Author Topic: Why did my Avast Internet Security just update itself without asking?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Nunyabiz

Hello. As in the title.

My Avast Internet Security just did a program update without asking me, when I have it set to ask first. My first inkling that it was done was after the fact, when I got a surprise pop-up to restart my computer.   And no, this isn't the switch to the new one that's supposed to happen before the end of the year because that option to "do it early" is still there on the options page.

Why did my program update itself against my express wishes?  If I wanted automatic program updates, I would have set it to update automatically.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why did my Avast Internet Security just update itself without asking?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 11:29:07 PM »
Well the default is Automatic Program Update, so you wouldn't have to have set it to automatic.

AIS is now in the process of being updated 'at no charge' to the new Avast Premium Security the legacy Avast Pro Antivirus, Internet Security and Premier are being phased out.  I don't know if this is what was going on as it has been the topic on a number of posts.

I don't know why you would want to set it to Ask when a program update is available.  Personally I would set it to manual program update.  But then you would have to know an update was available to know when to do a manual update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security