Author Topic: How to tell Avast to NEVER wake my computer from sleep mode?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline paulcocacola

How to tell Avast to NEVER wake my computer from sleep mode?
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »
I put my computer to sleep at night, then I hear it power on. Sometimes it goes back to sleep, sometimes it locks up, sometimes it stays awake, but it's always because Avast wakes it up.

I've disabled automatic updates to Avast which solved the problem, however now I have to manually update daily which can be an annoyance.

Can I have my cake and eat it too? I just want to be able to have Avast update automatically, but not wake the computer up, ever, to do it.

Thanks!

PS: I keep failing the captcha to create this post... those letters are impossible to read!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to tell Avast to NEVER wake my computer from sleep mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
I don't have both of my systems (see signature below my posts) go into standby as such but power down the Monitor and discs after a set period of time (a bit like standby) but never sleep as such.  So generally I don't see this wakeup you are experiencing.

You don't say what your Operating System is nor your Avast Version and build number are ?

I have VPS updates Set to Automatic, a requirement to be able to get the streaming updates, so I would say this is essential.  Program updates I have set to Manual.

I don't know if the scheduled Avast Emergency Update (AvEmUpdate.exe) check, a scheduled task.  However I don't feel this should be an issue as mine doesn't check if my system isn't active.  Ordinarily it would run when you first start your system and usually twice a day.

The Captcha is an anti-spam measure and is only there for your first 3 posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 01:17:02 AM »
Just power the thing down at night.

If you have a SSD and you're set up to have to login after hibernation/sleep it is often as quick to restart.

Alternatively disable wake on LAN (WOL): I think there maybe BIOS/UEFI settings also but first try this:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/170716/how-to-stop-network-activity-from-waking-your-windows-pc/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:12:41 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline paulcocacola

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
I never got emailed that anyone replied so I didn't know about these responses. Thank you. I've been shutting down my computer and that solves it, yes.
However, I want to put it in sleep mode now and again so I would still like to be able to tell Avast to stop waking my computer.

I'm using 20.5.2415 (build 20.5.5410.584) of Avast and Windows 10 (10.0.18363)

Avast wakes my computer, then puts it back to sleep, but when I go to wake my computer again, it doesn't wake (stays on black screen) or just locks up. So I have to fix a Windows problem yes, but I still want Avast to stop waking it.

I think Wake On Lan is already off, but I'll check that. Still, doesn't tell Avast specifically that I don't want it turning on my computer.

I don't think the scheduler task has a specific Avast option does it?
Does the Premium version of Avast have a way to stop it from waking your computer?

It's like my car starting up in the middle of the night because it wants to update the engine computer. I don't want it to!

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 05:22:16 PM »
I never got emailed that anyone replied so I didn't know about these responses. Thank you.
<snip>

Check your forum Profile settings and ensure the 'Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.' option is checked.

There is also a Notify button at the top and bottom of topics, clicking that will add that topic to the Notifications list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline paulcocacola

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Thank you! Just figured that out. Appreciate that. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 08:11:02 PM »
You're welcome.