Author Topic: Smart Scan Not Working  (Read 3733 times)

Offline DragonFyre19

Smart Scan Not Working
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:00:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

I currently use the free version of Avast and have updated to the latest version today.  However I am running into a consistent problem with the Smart Scan that I hope someone can help me with.

I'm currently running Windows 10 version 1809 and Avast version 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.544)

When I click on Smart Scan Avast begins the scan but is getting stuck at 0% scanning random files every time.  Sometimes it is windows dll files, sometimes it is desktop files, there is no consistent file triggering this that I caa see. 

The advanced issues part of the scan is completing (and showing a red !) but the scan itself is getting nowhere. 

The only way to stop it is to close avast itself with the X in the top right corner, and then reopen, which instantly gives me the reuslts screen.

I have repaired the installation, and it did not fix it.  I then uninstalled avast, reinstalled a clean version and it actually completed a scan to 100%.  However, after a restart it is again not finishing the scans and remains stuck at 0%.

Does anyone else have experience with similar issues or any idea how to fix them?  I've been using avast for a very long time and never run into this problem before. 

Thank you for any help in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Smart Scan Not Working
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »
I'm currently running Windows 10 version 1809................
1909 is released

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
Hi are you able to update virus definitions?

Offline slavo.benko

• Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:56:45 PM »
Is it stuck on 0% indefinitely or does it eventually move forward after few minutes?

Offline DragonFyre19

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
MartinZ - As far as I can tell I am able to update virus definitions and am up to date.  The current definitions are 191127-0 in the update settings.

benko - It is stuck indefinitely at 0%.  I can see in Task manager that as soon as the scan gets stuck the CPU and Disk activity for Avast immediately drop too.  The program is not crashing as I can still interact with it, but the scan is not moving beyond 0%. Once I close avast and reopen it, it instantly says the scan has completed (even though it did not) and gives me the results breakdown.

The only smart scan I have been able to complete is after a clean install.  After a computer reset or shut down, any further smart scans get stuck at 0% again.  I can custom/full scan as far as I can tell - it is just the smart scan that is being affected.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled again since I posted yesterday and still have the same problem.  Every other part of the program seems to be working fine apart from the Smart Scan and i have no idea why!

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »
Thank you, that's interesting. Could you please send us logs with this tool? https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/33/ Then please let me know the ID of the submission. Thank you

Offline DragonFyre19

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 08:31:18 PM »
And without warning it's started working again - I don't want to mess around with the program too much now but at least it's back to normal it seems!