Author Topic: Avast auto update question?  (Read 5481 times)

Tipton

Avast auto update question?
« on: January 16, 2004, 07:09:37 PM »
I have just recently installed Avast home edition, and am really liking the look and feel of this AV. It seems to be functioning great on my XP system. I did have a question though. I have Avast set up to automatically update the virus database. Anyway, I have had my system on for a few hours, and just for the heck of it, I clicked on the "update the virus database" button on the user interface. Sure enough it updated to 0312-9 16.01 .04. I was under the impression that it would do this automatically?? Is there a certain time that it is supposed to check? Or is it supposed to auto update as soon as there are defs available?  I know when I installed Avast, it automatically updated itself as one of the first tasks done. Just curious about this.  Thank you for the great forum!

Douglas

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Avast auto update question?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 07:38:30 PM »
as far as I remember, avast connects every 4 hours to the update server and checks if there is a newer update. If not, it waits 4 hours the it do it again.
MW

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 08:40:20 PM »
Well maybe Avast checked for updates and there were none. Then shortly after, I checked and they had become available.

If it only checks every four hours, why did it automatically update my virus defs when I first installed? Is that part of the installer to have avast do that?  Thankyou!
Douglas

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 08:56:56 PM »
If it only checks every four hours, why did it automatically update my virus defs when I first installed? Is that part of the installer to have avast do that?

It checks for updates after Internet connection is established and then every four hours. It also requires rebot after installation - and after reboot your Internet connection was probably reestablished - and the update availibity checked - simple, isn't it  ;) ?

Hope this helps
Pavel

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 09:40:48 PM »
That makes sence to me. I turned on my PC pretty early this morning so they were probably not available at that time.

I did have one other question. I notice with Avast on my system, that it takes longer for my PC to shut down.  Is this normal? Its no big deal because I am usually leaving the room anyway after I shut down, but I did notice this the other day.  Thanks!

Douglas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 03:08:18 AM »
I did have one other question. I notice with Avast on my system, that it takes longer for my PC to shut down.  Is this normal? Its no big deal because I am usually leaving the room anyway after I shut down, but I did notice this the other day.  Thanks!
Douglas

If you installed all the providers (Internet Mail, Standard Shield, P2P...) the services must shut down... It may take 5-10 seconds more. If your shut down time was really greater than this (30 seconds more), maybe we can search for some other things. I usually shut down my system as you. No worry  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 04:45:43 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info you guys! I appreciate it. I did install all the providers. By the way, I found the install one of the easiest I have ever done with a software program. Totally painless!

Douglas
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 04:47:00 AM by Tipton »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 05:52:51 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info you guys! I appreciate it. I did install all the providers. By the way, I found the install one of the easiest I have ever done with a software program. Totally painless!

Douglas

Ok, you're wellcome. Keep in contact with the forums and try to help the others.
The best things in life are free.

Tipton

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 12:58:44 AM »
Ok, I have you guys in my Fav's!

Douglas