Author Topic: Bleeping Computer Article: Avast and AVG Firefox Extensions Pulled from Mozilla  (Read 5002 times)

Offline The Sniggler

Interesting piece today on Bleeping Computer that Mozilla removed Avast and AVG add ons due to possible tracking:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/avast-and-avg-firefox-extensions-pulled-from-mozilla-addons-site/

FYI

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
See, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=230801.msg1528082#msg1528082.

However, this statement I believe is inaccurate as far as I'm aware.
Quote from: Bleeping
When Avast and AVG antivirus is installed, the software will also install their respective Firefox and Chrome extensions named Avast Online Security, AVG Online Security, Avast SafePrice, and AVG SafePrice.

The user is still in control over what they have avast install, I never install any of the browser add-ons as I have these covered in add-ons I already have installed.  The same is true of what main components the user allows to be installed by default.

Bleeping seems to a thorn in the ass about AVG & Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
Software if do a custom install, only installs as far as I know the shields you choose,  Though I also don't use Firefox or Chrome browsers on my systems lately,   been sticking with Microsoft Edge
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Oh boy the idiotfest on Firefox Subreddit about this is astounding. If you praise Mozilla, upvotes will come. If you want to make reasonable statements and question decisions, downvotes will be made. Sigh.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi RejZoR,

Just scanned here to see what avast is collecting. Nothing out of the ordinary, the common google analytics as everybody does,
which is secure while the <<cookie sets the Secure flag to prevent its leaking if any of the pages loads mixed content >>

This however could be added to the settings for more security:
<<The page loads 3 third-party JavaScript files and 6 CSS but does not employ Sub-Resource Integrity to prevent breach if a third-party CDN is compromised>>. (as we do not want another data-breach, do we?  ;)).

See what the scan returned for the forums: https://webcookies.org/cookies/forum.avast.com/9115320

TLS score: C-Grade, capped due to 64-bit cipher (IDEA, RC2, DES or 3DES)

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold recon website security analyst and website error-hunter)

P.S. For me they do not have to measure my site engagement for the forum site,
 it has been a steady full one hundred for well over thirteen years.  ;D
Re: https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/site-engagement

Damian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:50:37 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline jaje

• “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job"
“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.” - Bill Gates

Offline Tangy

OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Avast-Statement: We have offered our Avast Online Security and SafePrice browser extensions for many years through the Mozilla store. Mozilla has recently updated its store policy and we are liaising with them in order to make the necessary adjustments to our extensions to align with new requirements. The Avast Online Security extension is a security tool that protects users online, including from infected websites and phishing attacks. It is necessary for this service to collect the URL history to deliver its expected functionality. Avast does this without collecting or storing a user's identification.

We have already implemented some of Mozilla's new requirements and will release further updated versions that are fully compliant and transparent per the new requirements. These will be available as usual in the Mozilla store in the near future.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0